Staff Software Engineer: Live Operations Engineering
Job Id: REQ-0000830
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead, inspire and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
The Live Operations Engineering team enables Riot to efficiently operate games that are played by millions of players across the world. We ensure that our games are operable and observable by defining a well-communicated set of standards and building tools that enhance our ability to respond to failure. Live Operations Engineers work across all games and architectures at Riot to solve global problems.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you'll leverage your expertise in building large-scale, highly-available systems to create an efficient operational ecosystem that is necessary to eliminate any delays in identifying or preventing the impact to the player experience. You’ll be building tools to maintain an accurate and consistent interpretation of the information obtained from dozens of internal monitoring systems and processes. You’ll partner closely with service and game teams to help improve the observability of their services. Availability, automation and reliability will be your watchwords. You'll report to the team’s Engineering Manager.
- Lead the creation of Riot wide standards and best practices for alerting and monitoring
- Create and operate tools and services that help achieve operational excellence
- Communicate at a technical level with other development teams to help improve their services
- Drive collaboration and alignment with multiple internal and globally dispersed teams
- Characterize and identify system problems both within operations as well as our tooling and services
- Mentor software engineers through code and technical design reviews
- Identify and propose fixes for systemic issues
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of team’s work system
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing platforms
- 5+ years of experience building, deploying and operating features end-to-end within an existing large system
- Experience driving software engineering best practices within the team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, tools improvements, source control management, build processes, and testing
- Understand distributed systems, microservices, and software at high scale
- Comfortable using whichever language/framework is necessary for the job
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with ReactJS, Python and Java
- Experience with AWS (or comparable cloud environments)
- Familiarity with Site Reliability best practices
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).