VFX Artist II - League of Legends, Personalization
Job Id: REQ-0001978
On the Real-Time VFX team at Riot, we design and implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic visual effects that represent gameplay and add atmosphere to the world of League of Legends. We use our experience to create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information and personify the characters and skins we create. League of Legends has a diverse roster of powerful champions with a vast range of abilities, from cosmic dragons to undead warlords and our universe is full of creative potential.
As a VFX Artist II on with Player Immersion and Expression on the League of Legends team, you will report to the VFX Craft Lead. You will create the visuals for new skins, wards and emotes for League of Legends at high quality with minimal guidance. A Mid Level VFX Artist on the Player Immersion and Expression team participates in the sharing, and upholding of the VFX Clarity style guides. There is one VFX artist per production pod, so the artist is accountable for the holistic ownership and execution of skin customization for existing champion abilities. This means a strong willingness to be part of a highly inclusive, and collaborative team. Mid level VFX Artists are encouraged to appropriately manage their product obligations while striving to additionally support smaller VFX efforts like VFX clarity updates when appropriate.
- Design and implement the sleek, dynamic, and dramatic special effects that re-imagine ability visuals in different universes that broaden the League IP
- Balance gameplay needs and thematic direction while hitting craft quality benchmarks for VFX consistently
- Create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information and capture the essence of hundreds of characters
- Seeking growth opportunities from team members in and out of product space that work towards growth goals.
- Creating thematically resonant effects for wards and emotes
- Incorporating resonant elements from an existing Champion as a part of their respective clarity updates.
- 3+ years’ experience in video games industry
- Skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, Photoshop
- Experience creating stylized real-time VFX
- Shipped titles as a VFX Artist
- Proficiency in VFX fundamentals like timing, shape language, and color theory.
- Knowledge of the MOBA genre, ideally League of Legends, as it pertains to game design, isometric content and visual clarity
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP and skins universes
- Experience with advanced modeling like rigging and animating
- Experience making complex materials for use on characters
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of your work and may be asked to complete an art test.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).