Senior Technical Artist (Shaders & Materials) - League of Legends
Job Id: REQ-0002288
As a Senior Technical Artist on League of Legends PC, you will create HLSL shaders, material libraries, lighting, and art asset prototypes helping artists create vibrant in-game content. Reporting to the Technical Art Manager, you will ensure assets perform within technical requirements. Working with the art and graphics engineering teams, you will standardize and improve development processes for assets and pipeline efficiency.
Your mission is to guide the continuing technical evolution of League's champions, core maps, and UI. This will include artistic content development and coordinating work with in-house and external artists. You'll work with engineering teams to improve asset construction, making content efficient, sustainable, and up-to-date with the latest League technology.
- Level up the material and shader workflows for characters, environments, and VFX disciplines.
- Mentor other Technical Artists in their craft.
- Provide technical workflow support to artists.
- Produce game-ready and prototype technical-art assets and workflows.
- Rework legacy assets to modern League of Legends standards.
- Work with engineering to set memory budgets, implement rendering, lighting, and shading improvements.
- Collaborate with production to develop a long-term strategy to maintain and evolve the art workflows.
- Be an ambassador between art and engineering.
- 5+ years experience as a technical artist in real-time rendering.
- Experience with modeling, shaders, texturing, and lighting for games or similar products.
- Prior responsibility for authoring and maintaining characters, prop, and environment shader libraries.
- Understanding of how to improve rendering performance on mobile and PC platforms.
- Game-engine scripting, HLSL, and technical writing skills.
- Expertise in content creation, and tool development for DCC tools, especially Maya, Photoshop, and Substance Designer/Painter.
- Knowledge of PBR, color theory, camera lenses, and lighting direction.
As a part of the application process, you will provide a portfolio or demo reel of your work and may be asked to complete an art test.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).