Senior Communications Strategist - Corporate Communications
Job Id: REQ-0003172
The Corporate Communications team shapes Riot's global identity and reputation with players, future Rioters, partners, and more. Our team functions include public relations, issues management and advocacy, speaking opportunities, executive visibility, recruiting marketing, brand social media, riotgames.com, corporate video, and more. We partner with teams across Riot to showcase what makes Riot special and why we strive to deliver for players every day. We love games and telling the stories that come from making them. We also help explain Riot to people who don't love games quite as much as we do.
As Senior Communications Strategist - Corporate Communications reporting to our Corporate Communications Director, you will develop communications representing Riot and its leadership across media and Riot-owned corporate channels in partnership with the broader Corporate Communications team. You'll master Riot's brand and executive voices and author communications that authentically reflect them. You'll work with press, industry analysts, and beyond to share narratives in an authentic, player-focused way. You will focus specifically on corporate communications and issues management: tracking the issues most relevant to Riot, helping develop strategies for Riot to take public stances on those issues, and developing plans for responding to new issues, legislation, and regulation. In addition to working with members of the Corporate Communications team, you'll work with Rioters across the corporate affairs function, including the Senior Director of Government Relations and the Director of Social Impact.
- Identify opportunities for external engagement around industry topics including monetization, data practices, and player dynamics; work with partners to identify existing Riot policies then articulate Riot's philosophy in these areas
- Master Riot's corporate voice, including drafting communications on behalf of Riot's CEO and leadership team
- Partner with the Head of Corporate Affairs, Corporate Communications Director, and others to support crisis communications
- Develop relationships with communications leads across Riot, including in Riot's regional offices, to position yourself as a go-to resource for when tricky situations arise and they need extra firepower
- Help develop core external communications materials such as press releases, Q&A, statements, fact sheets, talk points, and slides
- Lead quarterly public affairs briefings; update legal, compliance, comms, and other partners on important issues
- Coach and prepare Riot leaders to serve as effective spokespeople – positioning them as thought leaders in their areas of expertise and advising on reputation effects
- Cultivate relationships with important journalists, editors, and industry analysts to increase their understanding of the Riot's mission, technology, and influence
- Support and work with Government Affairs, Corporate Communications, and Legal to manage Riot's relationships with trade associations to maximize benefits to our organization
- 8+ years of experience with PR, media, regulatory affairs, or similar consulting experience
- Track record with issues and crisis management; you're known for your calm under fire and your ability to work across every channel and tactic (internal, external, press, social media)
- Knowledge of issues affecting the gaming industry, including monetization, age ratings, data privacy, corporate culture, violence in games
- Experience leading proactive advocacy campaigns
- Experience communicating the unique voices of individual executives and brands
- Experience taking on board and understanding terabytes of new intelligence; you can't help but stay informed about political developments
- Experience with inside the beltway gossip and knows the name of names up and down the ballot
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.