Director, QA - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0002734
As a Director, QA you will own the QA process for a large team, including people, process, and support for ongoing game development. You will also work with scrum masters, producers, and other leaders from teams across Riot to craft and execute the Test Strategy that will help reach high-quality results. Additionally, you will partner with teams to arrive at better, more-efficient solutions to everyday problems and streamline delivery; support the QA Discipline leadership and help inform the long term vision of Riot Games Quality Assurance. You will also lead vendors in performing black box testing on features that need additional support. Lastly, it is also meaningful to mentor and grow the QA Leads and Specialist in charge of individual aspects of a Product, guiding them to produce new leaders in turn
As a Director, QA on the Unpublished R&D Product team, you will oversee the QA organization for early stage game development at Riot. As the head of the QA discipline in R&D office, you will be responsible for QA organizational design, workforce planning, staffing, and philosophy across R&D Office. You will look across game teams to build QA philosophy and practices that level up how we develop in the innovation stage as well as how we set foundations for quality practice on emerging development teams. You will be guided by Riot's Test Policy to develop philosophy around quality activities for every stage of the software development life cycle. You will work with the EPs and OPs leads of pre-production teams to design & staff their QA organizations. You will select, onboard, empower, and unlock PQLs on game teams. You will partner with teams to arrive at better, more-efficient solutions to everyday problems and streamline delivery, supporting the QA Discipline leadership and helping to inform the long term vision of Riot Games Quality Assurance. As the head of R&D Office Central QA, you will build and run a central service team consisting of QA engineers and other QA professionals that support QA efforts on prototype teams, especially playtest execution, and central technology efforts. You will manage Quality Assurance professionals, mentoring and growing the QA Leads and Specialists in charge of individual aspects of a Product, guiding them to produce new leaders in turn.
- Oversee the QA organization for early stage game development at Riot
- Create the vision for QA approach & philosophy in early stage development across Riot’s innovation portfolio including integration with other departments/disciplines, best practices and standards across QA, and customization to the needs of individual development teams in the organization
- Deliver a comprehensive quality strategy for the BU that informs development strategy across all early stage game development teams
- Work with leadership of pre-production game teams to design and staff their QA organizations
- Identify, recruit, interview, and hire QA leaders to help teams scale effectively
- Mentor, onboard, and develop PQLs for the individual game teams; and oversee the results of the QA leads on those teams as they build their organizations
- Build the central QA team that supports prototype team & central technology efforts and directly manage & guide the work of individual contributors on that team
- Develop strategic frameworks that empower teams to be held accountable for upholding quality and player impact as an essential factor in decision-making
- Develop new QA leaders through mentorship and coaching
- Mentor & manage QA professionals
- Establish partnerships with engineering, design and art teams across the BU through which BU approach to quality is iterated and improved upon
- 10+ years Quality Assurance Experience, with at least 3 years in a leadership role.
- 4+ years managing QA professionals
- Experience managing managers
- Experience building or refactoring scaled QA organizations
- Experience leading teams within game development
- Experience with product development pipelines and workflows
- Experience with strategic goal setting, tactical execution
- Experience working with remote testing teams
- Experience shipping games on multiple platforms
- Development experience across several platforms; mobile, console, and PC.
- Preferred Licenses/certifications:
- ISTQB Foundation Level
- ISTQB Agile Tester or ICAgile Agile Testing (ICP-TST)
- ISTQB Advanced Test Manager
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.