Director, Software Engineering - R&D Office, Shanghai Game Studio
Job Id: REQ-0004462
As a Director, Software Engineering within Research & Development Shanghai Studio, you will be a member of the Studio Leadership, overseeing engineering efforts on multiple early stage products within the studio. You will be accountable for ensuring that the product teams follow the best practices of Research & Development. You will help build a world-class R&D organization.
Initially, you will report to the Engineering Director of the R&D Office and will work very closely with the Shanghai studio leadership.
- Manage the process of staffing, onboarding, advancement and off-boarding for engineers in the R&D Shanghai; specifically for prototype and pre-production stages.
- Hire and grow new Engineering Leads, ensuring that there is an effective Engineering Lead in place and they are ready to report to the Executive Producer after
- Directly manage Engineering Leads embedded in product teams. Directly manage individual engineers until there is an embedded Engineering Lead in place, coaching them, holding them accountable to best practices and to their growth plan
- Manage the entire engineering discipline within the studio
- Partner with studio and product leadership to develop strategies for improving team health and effectiveness
- Own performance management, comp and promotion planning, quarterly and/or annual goal setting.
- Manage the engineer allocation during product pivots and wind-downs.
- Guide the teams through product stage transitions
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams at Riot to foster cross-team collaboration
- Facilitate knowledge sharing among different R&D teams.
- Mentor engineers in best practices for the current product phase
- Champion your sourcing and hiring processes to identify and hire engineers
- Fluency in English
- 13+ years of game development experience
- 8+ years as an Engineering Manager leading a team of 3+ engineers
- 3+ year(s) as a tech lead guiding the direction and implementation of a game
- Experience managing through managers
- Experience recruiting engineers and managers and growing an engineering team
- Experience with game engines (ex. Unreal Engine)
- Experience leading large teams (20+ engineers)
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).