Game Designer III, AI Systems - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0004999
As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Game Designer III in R&D, you will help us create the NPC enemies in this PvP open world first person shooter game, where these enemies will enrich the world-space and the players’ capabilities. This position will be working on enemy-and-allied NPC actions and reactions in response to rich player behavior. You will collaborate with weapon and ability designers to craft satisfying player opposition, and with level designers to supply enemy and friendly archetypes that fit the environment. You will report to the Level Design Lead on the team.
- Own and drive overall enemy systems and experience
- Lead small cross disciplinary teams (2-5 people) to build core AI systems that drive our NPCs and combat enemies
- Mentor other mechanics designers in good AI/encounter design and implementation practice
- Collaborate with player ability designers on low level combat features and verb ecosystem
- Collaborate with level and AI designers to deliver compelling content experiences
- Create and provide multiple potential designs and solutions. Articulate trade-offs and risks between different options.
- Playtest the game and help push for continued improvements for existing designs and fresh prototypes.
- 5+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- 3+ years of experience working with enemy AI foundations like behaviors, movement, coordination, and combat
- You have demonstrated proficiency in scripting in at least one engine in a shipped title
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game
- Can create complex mechanics and systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects
- Deep level of understanding of multiplayer games with PvP and PvE – You will be hands on with NPCs that are responsive to your behavior and the behavior trees of other NPCs
- Experience working on a live product
- Experience designing enemy behavior for FPS / “close third person” games.
- Experience designing friendly or non combat AI
- Experience designing AI for open world systems
- Experience designing cooperative combat scenarios
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00)