Senior Manager, Narrative - League of Legends
Job Id: REQ-0005082
As Senior Managers of Narrative at Riot, we manage a team of writers and editors. We oversee the development and growth of our teams, and manage the hiring, on-boarding, and off-boarding of direct reports. We also ensure that the team is meeting department quality and product needs. We lean on years of experience to help build some of the most iconic characters in the world of gaming. We use our craft expertise and high-level execution will enrich the players’ immersive experience.
As a Senior Manager, Narrative on League of Legends, you will report into the Design Director for League of Legends. You will support the writers both in craft and career as we develop narratives that will both surprise and delight players. You will also ensure that your narrative leads in Personalization and Champions are building effective teams and executing to the high management expectations at Riot. You’ll ensure that narrative execution on all projects on League of Legends exceed player expectations. You will work with Product Leads, Delivery Leads, Art, Design, and the League of Legends Design Director to stay aligned on vision and priorities. You will quickly mediate and resolve craft disagreements and misalignments, prioritizing the craft’s health and support above personally contributing to narrative production. You will be accountable for ensuring that narrative approaches across League of Legends deliver key outcomes while maintaining sustainable approaches and healthy teams.
- Manage career growth, compensation, composition, and motivation of all direct reports
- Mentor and manage the Narrative team in creating consistent, high-quality narratives
- Responsible for setting the writing direction across League in collaboration with the Game Director and Design Director.
- Collaborate with concept artists and designers in creating authentic interpretations of iconic champions within the League of Legends IP
- Drive the development of Narrative craft reviews and process/pipeline guidelines
- Manage and communicating progress with multi-disciplinary organizations
- Establish product-specific writing objectives
- Participate in hands-on craft contribution
- 8+ years of professional industry experience
- Significant demonstrated expertise hiring, managing, and mentoring a diverse team, and building these skills in others.
- Experience delivering quality work across a variety of creative disciplines
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP, and Champions/Skins universes
- Experience working with external teams/vendors, giving thorough direction, and delivering timely, clear, and actionable feedback
- Experience developing character narratives for games
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio of their work.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.