Animation Lead - League of Legends
Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing more than 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. On top of this, we’re currently building teams for Project A, a character-based tactical shooter, and Project L, our take on the fighting game genre.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our goals to build a world-class studio in a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams. The Hong Kong Studio is looking for talented, passionate people across all aspects of game development to help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world... and to make great games!
We focus on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games. This means less emphasis on titles and hierarchy and more emphasis on creating the right environment to ship excellent experiences to players.
That's where you come in.
As a Lead member of Hong Kong studio’s Animation team, you will set the bar and ensure that the animation output of our external and internal animation teams maintains Riot’s high standards. You’ll build and support a high performing team, and give them the guidance and context they need in order to deliver amazing animation experiences to out players. Using your broad knowledge of the art, craft and tech of animation, you’ll set clear goals, and make sure the process of delivering of those goals is as smooth as possible
- As overall animation craft lead on a product, you will oversee the quality of the work the team deliver, and set the bar for excellence
- You will build a world class team by sourcing AAA animation talent in China, and develop and grow their animation skills through training and feedback
- Collaborate with Rioters in HK and worldwide, to make sure product goals are fulfilled and working practices are appropriate
- You will accomplish your mission with complete autonomy if the need arises; you're dedicated in finding creative and effective solutions to vigilantly eliminate difficult problems
- You will use your knowledge and experience with modeling, texturing, rigging, scripting, lighting and video editing to level up animated projects on as-needed basis
- Expert hand-key animation skills
- Proven experience leading/mentoring teams and individuals. Growth minded and motivated towards teaching, enabling, and coaching other animators.
- Outcome rather than craft/process focused
- You are a strong communicator and able to communicate abstract/sophisticated ideas in a concise way, in English or in Chinese
- Basic English - you can discuss work and craft with other English speakers
- Mandarin speaker
- You have in depth knowledge of League of Legends
- You have experience working on MOBA’s or similar
- You have experience working on games with low hardware requirements e.g. mobile
- Rigging skills
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.