Senior Data Engineer - League of Legends Data
Riot's Data developers build tools to understand and delight our players worldwide using petabytes of data and state-of-the-art data processing technology. Handling the potential these data offer is a tremendous and complex task. As we continue delivering and scaling content to passionate gamers, our discipline has challenges and opportunities centered on crafting, building, and maintaining data products that support our growth.
Data Engineers at Riot have a mix of software, infrastructure, and analytical skills required to design and build data systems that help inform our decisions and promote player experiences. Data Engineers index high on software development, dimensional modeling of relational data, and operating data systems at player scale. They translate requirements into sustainable architectures and data processing workflows. In this role, your systems are just as likely to serve other Rioters as to power player facing features. This requires us to be excellent collaborators with other engineers, data scientists, game designers, and product owners across the organization.
As a Senior Data Engineer on the League of Legends Data team, you will shape the data architecture and systems that help provide an amazing League of Legends experience to millions of players around the world. You will work with many different teams, from improving game design with our gameplay team to making League’s back-end more reliable with our sustainability team. Over the years, the data generated by League of Legends exploded to petabyte-scale at a rapid pace. It will be your mission to harness the power of all of that data. You will report directly to the Engineering Manager on the League of Legends Data team.
- Lead the design and implementation of new data components
- Teach, support, and guide other engineers to raise the technical bar and establish lasting mentorship relationships
- Identify and resolve systemic issues across the product and team
- Collaborate with game, web, and service engineers to design and instrument telemetry libraries and frameworks
- Design data models by working with data scientists and insights analysts to unlock efficient game-specific analytics and cross-game insights
- Oversee data content, ensuring clean and sustainable pipelines to achieve relevant data that is essential to the product's growth
- Manage infrastructure for moving and processing data at Riot scale
- Participate in interviewing as an essential member for hiring decisions
- 6+ years of relevant work experience related to the role
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science/related field or equivalent work experience
- Depth of experience with building and maintaining software in languages like Java or Python
- Experience with data warehousing, data processing, data pipelines, and data infrastructure at scale
- Experience mentoring and leading others
- Depth of experience using SQL and SQL-like languages
- Experience in C++
- Experience building, testing, deploying, and maintaining machine learning models in production
- Experience with related data processing (Spark, Flink, Hive) and storage systems (S3, Vertica, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Dynamo, MySQL, Postgres)
- Experience with related data pipelining tools (Airflow, Luigi)
- Experience deploying cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP) using containers (Docker, Kubernetes) and infrastructure as code (Terraform, Ansible)
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).