Senior Development Manager - Legends of Runeterra
As the Senior Development Manager of art, you will help provide art needed to ensure that LoR ships on quality. You will work with our internal and external art teams. You will ensure that the teams are working effectively and delivering their commitments on time to reach our goals. You’ll work in tight partnership with both Product Leadership and Art Leads. What you bring to the partnership is your ability to create calm over chaos.
Legends of Runeterra (LoR) is our new collectible card game (CCG) featuring beloved Champions from the League of Legends universe. On the LoR team, you will report to the Development Director and play an essential part in managing and delivering art through relationships with internal art leaders, art teams and art vendors. You will use both your skills to cultivate positive working relationships.
Internally, you guide and support a team of accomplished artists. With you, the team will be guided to plan, will understand what is required in advance and will accomplish on time.
With a significant portion of our art created through external partnerships, you will grow and nurture our valued working relationship with outsourcers. You will help connect product teams to the right partners while improving art outsource infrastructure and practices. Your approach will ensure sustainable production without compromising standards.
Our Development Managers on LoR are:
- Solutions Providers: You help the team breakdown complex problems into understood, applicable tasks and see everything through to completion. Work with leads to solve inter-teams issues.
- Player-focused: You have player empathy, so you know that one of the worst feelings in the world is discovering that the server's down, a card set is mis-balanced or UI is confusing; you'll aim to keep everything humming, so that doesn't happen and if it does, we know how to handle it.
- Strategic: you exude calm even as everything seems to fall apart around you. When times are the toughest, people look to you to feel like everything will be OK.
- Mobile Adept: You’re familiar with live service games, especially mobile ones.
- Relationship Focused: Whether it is with an internal art lead or an external vendor, you excel at maintaining healthy production relationships. With you as the lead, your teams know what is expected, where risks may lie, risk and mitigations plans, and what good looks like. When there is a change, you are leading communications ensuring everyone is in the know.
- Bring Art On time, On Quality: You know how to guide a team through continuous development. You are a master of managing many art assets in different phases all at the same time. You understand the conflict, the cost/benefit calculations, and have the experience to make solid calls, ensuring that we provide delight to our players. You’ll handle the workflow of all internal and outsourced tasks including organizing and leading all daily rituals. For external assets, you will manage workflow and processes to ensure we have communication between the vendors and the internal team.
- Manage LoR’s Outsourcing: You will ensure our art assets meet LoR standards, and are organized and defined correctly for easy access. You make sure the vendors have access to the correct tools to provide assets to the internal team that are compatible to implement into the game. You’ll manage contracts for all vendors and reviewing and approving timecards/invoices.
- Update partners with scope status, risks and propose mitigation strategies
- Set and maintain excellent development habits through the Art Team.
- Work with Art Leaders to track and focus on Team Health.
- A minimum of 5 years’ of experience working in Art Management and Art Outsourcing in a Game Development environment.
- Excellent presentational skills and the ability to talk to technical staff, artists and business leaders.
- Experience with asset management and improve pipelines.
- Experience collaborating with vendors and maintaining relationships with multiple vendors and team members.
- Experience overseeing strategy with budgets within constraints.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum or Kanban work systems
- A valid passport (for international travel).
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.