China Head of Merchandise & Licensing
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it is for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We are looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you are passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, are not afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints. That is where you come in.
We are seeking a driven and creative leader to oversee all merchandise development and licensing activities for Riot Games including the League of Legends Universe, Esports and potential future franchises. The China Head of Merchandise and Licensing will play a meaningful role in developing and executing the strategy for Riot’s merchandise business and determining the overall go-to-market approach including: licensing strategy, channel management, and product and brand portfolio management. You will collaborate with other game dev, esports, creative leaders to build and scale Riot’s IP, lead a diverse team of consumer products professionals (including product managers, supply chain, sales and marketing) and manage a China P&L.
- Lead all aspects of Riot Games’ merchandise and licensing business in China, including licensing, merch, local product strategy, local retail partnerships, direct channels, local business planning and development, team development, management and reporting.
- Partner with key stakeholders in China and in Central office, across League of Legends, R&D game teams, Global Merchandise and Licensing teams, Esports Leagues, and Creative Development to align strategy with China franchise planning and execution
- Manage the partnership with Tencent with the focus on merchandising and build a sustainable model for working together.
- Craft a distribution strategy and drive execution that optimizes player experience in China while significantly growing our product breadth, reach and access.
- Maintain an understanding of product lines, market dynamics, competitors, customers, and licensee competencies in China market
- Working closely with the multiple functional teams in Riot China to ensure the synergy and maximize player value
- Experienced: 10~12 years or above of merchandising, licensing or consumer goods related experience, with 5 years of product and business leadership for major IP franchises developing direct and licensed products and managing agent relationships in China. You have scaled consumer products franchises and have led multi-faceted teams of creative, marketing, operations, and business colleagues.
- A Complete Business Leader: Equally at ease setting strategy and vision or rolling up your operator sleeves to drive product and financial planning and business development. You have led large and diverse teams and have a track record for supporting and developing talent.
- An Organization Builder: Capable of building a world class teams (hiring, mentorship, growing people), recognized for driving alignment and momentum across complex organizations, and come with a reputation for cultivating positive relationships with the right external partners.
- Global vision with China insights: fully understand the company’s global vision and roadmap, meanwhile can bring in the deep understanding of China market and player insight to support the decision making
- Ambitious: You thrive in dynamic, entrepreneurial environments and embrace taking risks and challenging convention in order to drive creative outcomes
- In the Know: You are tuned in to the latest industry developments, and are knowledgeable of key product and licensed categories, manufacturers, and retailers across the Chinese merchandise landscape
- Empathetic and player focused: You have a visceral understanding of what it means to love an IP and appreciate the care and nuance required to serve Riot’s highly engaged player community effectively
- Execution excellence: Being able to lead the team to deliver tangible results in the market. Down to earth and can forge all the resource to the driving force for our business.
- Diversity: Being able to work in a multi-language environment and partner with people from different culture & background. Fluent English + Chinese as must.