Senior Data Engineer - Riot Platform Group
Data Engineers at Riot have a mix of software, infrastructure, and analytical skills required to design and build data systems that help inform our decisions and promote player experiences. Data Engineers index high on software development, dimensional modeling of relational data, and operating data systems at player scale. They translate requirements into sustainable architectures and data processing workflows. Your systems are just as likely to serve other Rioters as to power player facing features. This requires us to be excellent collaborators with other engineers, data scientists, game designers, and product owners across the organization.
As a Senior Data Engineer on the Riot Platform Group (RPG) Data team, you will shape the way data is used to understand and improve systems that power all of our games. You will work with many teams, from tracking game operation costs with the finance team to building data pipelines that are used to improve the in game experience for millions of players every day. With petabytes of data collected from our global footprint of data centers, we need your expertise in using state-of-the-art data processing tools and techniques to improve how Riot serves its legions of fans from around the world. You will report directly to the Data Science Manager on the RPG Data team.
- Lead the design and implementation of essential data marts
- Set standards on how data is processed and delivered
- Teach, support, and guide other engineers to raise the technical bar and establish lasting mentorship relationships
- Resolve systemic issues across the product and team
- Collaborate with game, web, and service engineers to design and instrument telemetry libraries and frameworks
- Collaborate with data scientists and analysts who will use your data marts to help with decisions
- Oversee data content, ensuring clean and sustainable pipelines to achieve relevant data that is essential to the product's growth
- Manage infrastructure for moving and processing data at Riot scale
- Participate in interviewing as an essential member for hiring decisions
- 6+ years of relevant work experience related to the role
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science/related field or equivalent work experience
- Depth of experience with building software in languages like Java or Python
- Experience with data warehousing and modelling, data processing, data pipelines, and data infrastructure
- Experience mentoring others
- Experience programming in GO
- Experience building, testing, deploying, and maintaining machine learning models in production
- Experience with related data processing (Spark, Flink, Hive) and storage systems (S3, Vertica, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Dynamo, MySQL, or Postgres)
- Experience with related data pipelining tools (Airflow, Luigi)
- Experience deploying cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP) using containers (Docker, Kubernetes) and infrastructure as code (Terraform, Ansible)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.