Principal Software Engineer - Riot Data Products
Riot Data Products (RDP) is an engineering team whose mission is to build solutions that equip Rioters with data technology that helps them to enhance the experience of players and Rioters. Our products range from data pipelines deployed globally that are used to publish over a million events per second into our data ecosystem, all the way to internal tools and dashboards that guide Riot and help us to draw insights about our games, Riot itself, our people, teams, and organization.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will have the chance to affect how Riot uses data to improve the experience for players and Rioters. You'll provide mentorship to other engineers and help shape the technical vision, and lead development efforts to build reliable data solutions and platforms that analyze petabytes of data and support thousands of global Rioters. Challenges will range from protecting players' privacy, organizing and optimizing data warehouses using big data tools and cloud-based servers, building a platform for ingesting data and serving real-time analytics, or empowering product teams to run their services. You'll bring your depth of expertise to help design Riot’s next generation of data technologies supporting all of our future games.
- Lead the design and implementation of next-generation data platforms and products
- Provide and document reliable and cost-effective solutions in multiple problem spaces, including applications, deployment, and monitoring
- Be a bar-raiser for other engineers through teaching and mentoring
- Conduct code reviews for members of the team
- Collaborate with different teams across Riot to incorporate customer feedback and provide elegant solutions
- Be part of on-call rotation to help support the products
- Participate in interviews and hiring processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering/development (Java or similar OOP language)
- Deep knowledge of Big Data technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, Flink, and Kafka
- Deep experience in Python and SQL
- Knowledge within a diverse set of public cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with data analysis, processing, and validation
- Experience working in an Agile and DevOps environment
- Experience with distributed systems, high scalability, and building services using big data frameworks
- Experience with open source ETL frameworks such as Airflow or Luigi
- Understanding of working with data modeling and datasets
- Comfortable working at the Linux command line
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).