UX Designer - Legends of Runeterra
Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing more than 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. On top of this, we’re currently building teams for Project A, a character-based tactical shooter, and Project L, our take on the fighting game genre.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our goals to build a world-class studio in a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams. The Hong Kong Studio is looking for talented, passionate people across all aspects of game development to help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world... and to make great games!
We focus on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games. This means less emphasis on titles and hierarchy and more emphasis on creating the right environment to ship excellent experiences to players.
That's where you come in.
Our focus on the player experience places designers in a unique position to influence product direction through bold design decisions. We apply design thinking and take a holistic approach to ensure experiential continuity across platforms and touchpoints. That means we reach beyond core gameplay and design for things like social systems, a player's sense of identity, and even real-world events. Experience designers at Riot Games work on systems that millions of players interact with every day. We strive to connect players with others and ultimately want to turn strangers into friends, creating great shared experiences for years to come.
As a UX Designer, you'll be responsible for the design work in a high-scope product area that is complex and ambiguous. You'll give it through end-to-end experience design. The spaces will generally encompass multiple features and sometimes span across teams. You'll work from concept through development and collaborate with other designers to achieve your goals.
- Work closely with product managers, game designers, artists, and engineers on high-scope design challenges and feature sets
- Create interface wireframes and user flows, ensuring iterative feedback is incorporated throughout the development process
- Work with other discipline leads on establishing design standards and patterns
- Experienced with a great portfolio: you've racked up 5+ years in the field of UX, preferably on a range of large-scale, consumer-facing products
- Constantly leveling up: although you've mastered the design tools in your kit (e.g. interaction design, journey mapping, information architecture, prototyping),
- you're always working to improve your skills
- Design independent: you're comfortable with some degree of ambiguity, and you confidently hit your stride in even the fastest of fast-paced development environments; your brainstorms make other brainstorms look like headsprinkles or nogginfoggies, and you find fresh solutions where others fall victim to ideological dry spells
- A dedicated shipper: great artists ship products, and you know how to get stuff done within teams; you can also thoughtfully break experiences down in order to ship value to our players
- A strong communicator & fluent English speaker: you communicate in a clear and focused manner to inspire teams to follow-through on great design
- A passionate gamer: you take play seriously, enjoying a lot of different types of games, but at the top are online games; you also empathize with players through data and your understanding of gaming culture; having extensive knowledge and experience in League of Legends is a big plus
Instead of only showing us your final design outcomes, please share some documentation with us on how you took the design from 0 to 1, your iterative design process, and the product problem you were trying to solve.
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.