Technical Game Designer II - Teamfight Tactics, Live
Job Id: REQ-0004209
Technical Game Designers at Riot bring both strong game design and engineering skills to the teams and games they work with. They create paper gameplay designs and concepts, working with Riot’s design tools to prototype and implement - but, unlike other game designers, they also work directly in the code base, improving and sustaining the game engine and its capabilities.
On the Live Pod, you will report to the Live lead. You will help ensure the game lives up to its design goals: replayability, balanced gameplay, variety, and lots of high moments! You’ll work on both week-to-week gameplay and balance improvement, keeping a close eye on win rate data alongside broader analytics to deliver regular balance updates and keep the game healthy. You’ll also work on longer-term prototypes and projects that affect TFT’s core gameplay across sets.
- Work with a diverse team of developers to keep Teamfight Tactics healthy, fun, and balanced for our whole audience.
- Keep a close eye on the “state of Live” - monitoring metrics and using our simulation tools to anticipate and prioritize balance and gameplay problems
- Openly share work in critiques and seek feedback from other designers
- Help other designers and engineers to build robust features in a sustainable way.
- Be a "go to" person for complex implementations of design content, and for shepherding projects that require heavy engineer/designer interaction.
- Be an example to other designers in writing clever, elegant, and maintainable implementations within designer tools.
- Serve as a good steward of the C++ game engine code base.
- 4+ years of combined experience in game design or engineering, whether in multiple roles or a combined one (like this listing).
- Deep analysis in your approach to design. You identify what creates interesting gameplay, what's appealing to players, and why things work. You're able to translate lessons from one genre to another.
- Capacity to identify a problem, generate a range of solutions to it, and then identify the most appropriate one. You're then able to create and communicate the details of that proposed solution.
- High comfort level when it comes to sharing and asking for feedback.
- Strong C++ engineering skills, and the ability to quickly familiarize yourself with new spaces and pieces of technology.
- 6+ years of combined experience in game design or game engineering, whether in multiple roles or a combined one.
- Familiarity with the auto-battler genre
- Great communication skills, particularly with respect to talking with both designers and non-designers about goals and explaining why you’ve chosen good tactics towards those goals.
- A structured approach towards complex game systems that maintains game quality while minimizing complexity and exploits.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.