Senior Software Engineer - Valorant, Esports Game Features
Job Id: REQ-0004646
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in many broader domains. As a Software Engineer II, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Software Engineer II on the VALORANT Esports Features Team, you will help Riot build and deliver a first in class esports experience for players. You will be responsible for developing new esports-specific features, improving existing systems, and working with the esports operations and broadcast groups to push the overall esports experience to the genre-defining level that our players expect. You will report to the Engineering Manager of the Game Systems area.
- Design, build and deliver new in-game features for esports observers, coaches, and players
- Collaborate with internal development teams to ensure new agents, UI, and gameplay features are built with consideration for esports needs
- Work with Esports Operations and Broadcast teams to define and build out systems to support the tournaments and broadcast
- Create and/or contribute to best practices, development processes and coding standards
- Build and manage strong relationships between disciplines
- Mentor and coach junior members to build talent over the long term
- Demonstrate a high bar of craft excellence for your team
- Cultivate your team's culture of collaboration, creativity and passion for game making
- 4+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 2+ years of experience with C++
- Experience with Unreal Engine, Unity, or related gaming engine
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
- Professional experience building large scale backend systems (e.g. game services, data)
- Professional experience working with the Go programming language
- Experience working in the games industry
- Experience working on competitive multiplayer games
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Engagement with the esports scene
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players and fans. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00)