Database Engineer - Infrastructure Platform, Database Engineering
Job Id: REQ-0004783
Database Engineering at Riot is challenged with scaling Riot database capabilities to meet the scale and performance of all of Riot’s Live Service game’s and shared services. The team aspires to become a center of excellence for shared persistent data store technologies.
As a Database Engineer you will be working on a large breadth of service and game architecture at Riot. You will be designing solutions to help teams implement database standards you have established to make service databases easier to operate and maintain. You’ll be partnering and coordinating with engineers across Riot and ironing out overlooked details that matter.
You’re right for this role if the idea of working on high impact, high visibility, high expectation projects that provide demonstrated database improvements for our players excites you. You love building iterative approaches to problems and know how to compromise between ideal solutions and practical outcomes.
- Design and implement routine data migrations between MySQL data sources as part of routine database consolidation, upgrades and host changes.
- Design and implement replication and backup technologies for critical MySQL databases
- Design and implement Database level monitoring and alerting for Riot’s MySQL database stack
- Design and implement Relational Database schema and query changes, supporting assorted service and game development teams with their database performance and application needs.
- Support and debug database production issues.
- Build automation of database infrastructure and build self-service tools.
- Be part of active 24x7 on call rotation with your team
- 2+ years experience working with medium (and small) scale Relational databases (MySQL Preferred)
- 2+ years experience working with cloud based and locally deployed database technologies (MySQL preferred)
- Experience with full database development life cycle
- Ability to work with development teams on schema, query and database design
- Experience with administration, maintenance and recovery of databases
- Ability to optimize Database and SQL Query performance
- Ability to solve problems with programming scripts (python, bash etc)
- Proficient in writing and optimizing SQL statements
- Hands on experience with Replication
- Ability to go on call every 4 weeks.
- Hands on experience with AWS RDS or Aurora
- Hands on experience with Percona MySQL
- Demonstrable Linux systems administration skills
- Familiarity with database technology such as MySQL, MongoDB, SQL Server
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes and microservice application development
- Experience programming in GoLang, Python and/or Java, Terraform, Cloudformation
- Ability to speak Korean and English conversationally
- Associates/Bachelors Degree Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience.
If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you are a good fit for the role, we’d love to learn more about you.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).