Manager, Database Engineering - Live Operations, Live Production Engineering
Job Id: REQ-0005022
Manager, Database Engineering - Live Operations
As a part of the Riot Production Engineering team, you'll collaborate to build the distributed platform that enables our games to operate globally at scale. You will work across all game teams, including R&D, to engineer the database foundation that enables us to bring projects from creation to production. If you are looking to have an impact across all of Riot, join us and pioneer solutions to new challenges at an incredible scale.
As an Engineering Manager on the Live Operations: Database Engineering team, your team will be responsible for the reliability, support and operations of the game databases across all Riot games, and providing consulting services to games in the R&D phase, along with shared teams. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager of the Live Operations.
- Manage a team of 4-8 database engineers, coaching them, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability.
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust, and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Stay closely connected to the tech, overseeing the technical design and deliverables of the team and working closely with your team’s technical lead.
- Grow the team through hiring and construct an efficient onboarding process for new team members .
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams at Riot to foster cross-team collaboration.
- Manage the team’s approach to on-call
- Improve the scalability and reliability of Riot’s databases
- 6+ years experience as a database engineer.
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team
- Expertise with full database development life cycle
- Expertise in project management, prioritization frameworks and guiding investment strategies in people and systems.
- Experience collaborating across departments to create solutions.
- Understand different database technologies, performance, and architecture
- Experience operating and supporting production databases, understanding of on-call processes
- Familiarity with database technology such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).