Software Engineering Manager
Job Id: REQ-0005215
Riot Engineering Managers gain organisational alignment by building an engineering vision and offering creative solutions to organisational design. They serve as mentors for engineers, oversee their performance, and find stretch opportunities for their growth.
As the Engineering Manager, you will support the engineers to achieve the goals of the Merchant Guild. The Merchant Guild's mission is to expand and enhance effortless delivery of content for players to explore, discover, and acquire in experiences that feel innovative, welcoming and fun.
You will work with a diverse team consisting of designers, engineers, producers, and QA. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager.
- Create and socialise an engineering vision with the team and partners including the Technology, Product, and Process Leads.
- Support the vision with a solid strategy including the reallocation of resources to focus on priorities.
- Operate with intent, emphasising the importance of efficiency and productivity and prioritising the highest-value work on the team.
- Interview and hire software engineers to help teams scale.
- Mentor engineers identifying stretch opportunities for them to grow.
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust, and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Seek different perspectives, encouraging engineers and others to contribute ideas. Base your decisions on sound analysis and avoid biases.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
- 6+ years experience as a software engineer with a focus on building distributed services and web applications.
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead & mentor.
- Experience with software development, including shipping one or more products on large code bases.
- Experience collaborating across departments to create solutions.
- Experience with C++, HTML/CSS.
- Experience running a live Game-as-a-Service.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on our players, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organisations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
Let's Thrive Together:
Because together we are better
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and members of Riot Games. We know that fresh and varied perspectives will make us better at what we do, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we're excited to hear from you. Don't be discouraged if you feel you don't meet every one of the requirements for a role, there's always room for growth at Riot. If you spot a role to make you want to jump out of bed in the morning, we are waiting to hear from you!