Art Lead, China – IP & Creative
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As a member of the IPC Creative team, the Art Lead will lead and collaborate with multidisciplinary artists - concept artists, illustrators, visual designers, graffiti artists, sculptors, and outsourced art houses to create premier art content for Riot. This person will have a balance of epic craft, creative thinking and well rounded interpersonal skills. Accountable for identifying and communicating a high-quality visual style, you will also force multiply a team of artists and coach them to do the same in relation to product goals.
● Art & Creative
○ Understand League of Legends IP products and product goals
○ Drive all visual to an outstanding and competitive level with the commitment to enhance player experience and the aspiration to lead the industry
● Art Leadership
○ Lead an Art Team together with Creative Leadership to designate and align visual targets and build world class creative and stunning visuals ○ Identify product risks and strategic opportunities, clearly communicating to team and partners
○ Be accountable for Art related results and balance of quality and velocity in art production
○ Foster team collaboration, visibility, clear goals, and communication
○ Delegate work across a team that is broad both in skill and in leveling
○ Work alongside a cross-disciplinary team (art, design, IP, branding, business, marketing, publishing, and production) that establishes a project's success criteria. Whether that is first-class concept art, illustration, painting, storyboard, key visuals, merchandize, events, entertainment etc.
○ Align with Production Team to execute on staffing, mentoring, and organizing an industry-leading Art Team
○ Align priorities and deliver quality art results within time and budget constraints
○ At least a bachelor's degree
○ At least 8 years as a professional artist, art development or equivalent experience
○ At least 5 years of art quality control and art team management experience
○ Broad knowledge in art and visual development on first-class concept art, illustration, painting, storyboard, digital art, 3D graphics etc.
○ Experience of projects in art, creative, IP development, branding, marketing, games, animation and others is a plus
● Hardcore gamer and sports enthusiast: Your passion for video games is what drove you to the industry; you're an avid fan of League of Legends, League of Legends eSports, and take play seriously
● Bilingual: You can converse and write fluently in both Mandarin and English
● Soft Skills:
○ A True Leader: you know what brilliant looks like and how to successfully lead and coach a diverse team with evolving goals. Whether it's specific brainstorming techniques or 1:1 conversations, unlocking, motivating, and inspiring others is your forte.
○ A Creative Powerhouse: either you have a strong personal portfolio demonstrating your deep understanding of visual production and tasteful art design.
○ Knowledgeable: art, film, animation, digital entertainment, gaming and consumer product are your bag.
○ Managerially Fearless: You are not afraid to say NO to bad quality art product, you should be someone who has strong brand and art awareness and top craft skills to lead artists in execution of day to day work to meet creative vision and quality benchmark
○ A Team-player with team-first attitude: you own team mistakes and work collaboratively to solve them
○ An art translator: you can adapt concept, design, game-art assets, from pipeline, into industry-specific creative content or physical merchandise
○ Communicative and Collaborative: you can understand the strategic goals of a business or product request and can translate those goals to the art team
○ Driven: your vision of both craft and an efficient art pipeline is clear and paved, you refuse to let projects pile up, finishing your work with diligence that inspires the most industrious
○ Player-Focused: you understand your impact on the player experience because you’re a player, too; you listen closely to the community to better understand their needs
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.