Manager, Game Design - Valorant, Characters
Job Id: REQ-0004874
As a Game Design Manager, you'll be front and center in defining the direction of our game. You'll partner with leads from multiple disciplines to ensure that our game is the best it can be, leaving no conceptual stone unturned. You'll be a champion for design excellence, and level up those around you. You’ll apply rigorous critical thinking and a strong dose of imagination to engineer the fun of thrilling in and out-of-game experiences. You'll work with every tool at hand and collaborate with multiple interdisciplinary teams to create player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Game Design Manager working on the agents team, you will be responsible for designing exciting, resonant agents that evolve and push the boundaries of the tactical shooter genre. You will have a keen eye for detail and ensure that each new agent is satisfying to play, yet balanced for a competitive environment. You will mentor the team and provide design leadership on agents for VALORANT. You will report to the Design Director of the Project.
- Work with team leads to develop exciting, resonant agent fantasies that continuously evolve the tactical shooter genre
- Ensure that VALORANT design teams are highly performing teams
- Anticipate player needs regarding agents
- Ensure execution in gameplay and delivery schedule for a range of projects in flight from early concept to final polish
- Manage and coach designers across the team
- Influence senior leadership frequently regarding product direction and strategy, both regarding projects and related work (e.g. events, etc...)
- Build positive relationships across other teams at Riot in shared gameplay spaces
- Builds strong relationships with leadership from a range of disciplines to multiply their quality and output
- 5+ years experience in Game Design role; experience as a game design owner of multiple large projects in parallel with successful delivery
- 1+ years people management experience; experience with mentorship of other designers leading to a promotion or substantial positive improvements in their work
- Experience creating systemic change to a design team’s process or principles to improve output significantly across the team
- Experience communicating and expressing complex and nuanced designs in simple ways
- Leadership experience resolving conflict, and when needed offering difficult feedback with respect
- Experience working as a developer on an FPS title.
- Strong understanding Tactical FPS principles and can apply them effectively
- Can quickly produce a wide breadth of mechanics solutions, and generate and identify an excellent solution
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00)