Principal Data Scientist - Riot Data Products, Technology Research
Job Id: REQ-0005100
The Technology Research team performs applied research to accelerate the pace of building amazing player experiences at Riot Games. In this role, you will grow and lead a research team whose focus is to leverage ML/AI to simplify and amplify game development. To this end, your team will track the latest research in relevant areas, work closely with teams to prioritize the most promising research, build prototypes to highlight the value of the research, and in certain cases partner with game teams to create robust and efficient production versions of your prototypes.
- Define and develop research topics within your areas of expertise and help create internal training materials.
- Build and own roadmaps, risk management, and project indicators
- Propose, implement, and evaluate new algorithms that expand our content creation capabilities (examples include: style transfer, physics based animation, deep learning for character animation).
- Work closely with game engineers, artists, and designers to understand their needs and propose new predictive tools to help simplify game development.
- Stay up to date on the latest academic advances & industry trends within your area of specialization.
- Inform and manage stakeholders on game teams
- MS in Computer Science or equivalent with 6+ years research experience or BS in Computer Science or equivalent with 8+ years research experience
- A background in applied or basic research (in industry or academia) + the ability to lead research through standard experimental methodologies
- 2+ years experience in deep learning or algorithmic foundations of optimization
- Proficiency in C, C++, or Python
- Contributions to public research (e.g. published papers and industry talks)
- Experience in distributed computing systems design
- Expertise with Tensorflow or Pytorch
- Experience working in commercial game engines either for prototyping or full production (preferred Unreal Engine)
- Experience working with 3D modeling and animation software
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).