Game Designer II, Compet - GS.VAL, Metasystems
Job Id: REQ-0005202
As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Game Designer II working on the Competitive Systems team you will design and deliver world class competitive and ranked systems. You will deeply understand what motivates competitive players and understand how to craft systems that are competitively sound and satisfying to compete in. You will be responsible for designing solutions that solve design problems for players across different platforms and how to balance for their unique player experiences. You will report to the Lead Metasystems Designer.
- Design Competitive and Ranked Systems that value players’ continued investment in VALORANT.
- Design and support matchmaking services to ensure players compete in fair matches.
- Work with other disciplines to take content and features from conception to our players’ hands.
- Seek opportunities for new design spaces in collaboration with Product Managers and Design Leadership.
- Create and provide multiple potential designs and solutions. Articulate trade-offs and risks between different options with a clear understanding of content and product level goals.
- Playtest VALORANT and help push for continued improvements for existing designs and fresh prototypes.
- 3+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online competitive game
- Can create and improve complex systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects
- Proven ability to articulate decision making frameworks with other designers and team members
- Deep level of understanding, passion, and engagement with online competitive games.
- Experience developing online matchmaking or ranked systems.
- Familiarity with online shooters, especially VALORANT and/or tactical shooters
- Views potential 'charged' player feedback as an opportunity to better understand and improve the product.
- Experience balancing competitive integrity with satisfying game systems.
- Experience developing on multiple platforms, PC, Mobile, and Console.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.