Manager, Software Engineering - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0007263
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As an Engineering Manager at Riot, you’ll predominantly serve as a mentor for a team of engineers, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability. You’ll also offer creative solutions to organizational design.
As an Engineering Manager on Research & Development working on an early stage product, you are armed with a wealth of knowledge in full stack game technologies, curiosity and an open mind for learning and knowledge work, and the flexibility to support rapid explorations during prototype. You will use a strong sense of pragmatism and your previous game development knowledge to focus limited mindshare on the most valuable learning and discovery opportunities in order to chart the path out of the prototype for our new game. You will work in a small team alongside a product lead, designers and artists to answer fundamental questions and eventually build experiences that will fulfill our players’ impossible dreams. You will report to the Director of Engineering of the project.
- You will be both Technology Leader and People Manager for a group of 4-8 engineers
- You will participate in discussions about our product vision and ensure that vision is clear to your team(s).
- You should know what’s being built and why. We are concerned with velocity, execution, quality, and technical debt.
- Your tone is positive and productive. It’s up to you to surface issues, opportunities, wins, and address them head-on.
- You will establish teams that are balanced, functional and strongly aligned with Riot values.
- You will help ensure our teams are healthy. We want team members to be motivated, encouraged, and perform well.
- Where do people want to grow? What role is next for them? How can we help them to get there? We will hold them accountable for getting there while providing mentorship, coaching, and support.
- You can handle tension within and around the team. This could mean keeping a calm head, helping resolve conflicts or responding to emergent issues.
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on Software Engineer
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead & mentor.
- 2+ years of experience working with cross-functional disciplines on early production game development
- Experience across multiple systems and languages
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- 2+ years of C++ experience
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Experience building tools and pipelines with close collaboration with art, design, and production
- Experience with collaborating with cross-functional discipline leads
- Experience developing game backend systems
- Knowledge of content-heavy games or RPGs
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $178,500.00 - $249,900.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
- (Bellevue only) Base salary range between $178,500.00 - $249,900.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.