Staff Software Engineer - Live Production Engineering
Job Id: REQ-0001406
Production Engineering at Riot is challenged with diving into our most ambiguous technology spaces between games, central services and infrastructure to solve our reliability and visibility challenges as Riot continues to grow into a multi-game ecosystem. To succeed as a Staff Engineer on this team you will need to partner with many engineering teams at Riot on multiple technical stacks. You will report to the head of Live Engineering at Riot.
As a Staff Engineer on Production you will be challenged to learn a large scope of architecture at Riot. You will need to curate a prioritized view of the highest value areas you can deploy your team to allow our players to have reliable engagement experiences with Riot's games. You will build agreement across multiple different technology partners and grow your engineers. You'll partner and coordinate with technical leads across Riot while aligning your priorities with some of Riot's most important strategic goals.
You're right for this role if the idea of tackling some of the hardest challenges in high-scale service development excites you. You're the type of person that loves it when a plan comes together. You believe that impossible is your favorite kind of possible.
- Maintain and evolve Riot's technical understanding of its multifaceted technical architectures
- Ensure Riot central technology teams have the necessary vision into how our live services are performing
- Help craft and lead a fledgling team into a competent Tier 1 Site Reliability capable group
- Establish meaningful, long lived, standards across multiple technical stacks
- Provide support and maintenance to existing platforms
- Be rotational on-call for live product support and operational assessment
- Provide meaningful code review for other members of the team
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field or relevant professional experience
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with designing, prioritizing and maintaining high-capacity, high-availability, and high-performant software, especially back-end services
- Ability work across multiple organizations and create agreement on technical standards
- Experience mentoring engineers to grow technically on your teams
- Experience working in container-based ecosystems and with a container scheduler (e.g. Marathon, Mesos, Kubernetes, GKE, or Amazon ECS)
- Experience with distributed systems, specifically microservices
- Experience with API design using REST
- Understand networking - HTTP down to the network layer (TCP/IP, Routing, and more)
- Understand relational databases like MySQL
- 2+ Years working in a high performance Site Reliability capacity
- Familiarity with Site Reliability best practices
- Experience building teams from the ground up
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, ideally Jenkins
- Understand software performance and influence latency in online games
- Experience with AWS (or comparable cloud environments)
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).