Researcher - League of Legends, Gameplay
As a Researcher, you’ll join the Insights discipline – the group of researchers, analysts, and strategists responsible for solving problems and executing analyses that enable Rioters to make difficult decisions with confidence. You’ll be part of an interdisciplinary team and work closely with Rioters from other disciplines (designers, artists, producers, etc.) to conduct studies and analyses that will inform the features, systems, and experiences of our products. Your applied or experimental research background coupled with your deep understanding of data will ensure that you’re an effective advocate for players and can provide strategic guidance about their wants, needs, and behaviors.
As a Researcher on the League of Legends Gameplay team, you’ll work with a group of individuals who focus on enhancing core game systems and content to delight players for years to come. You will perform playtests, run surveys, analyze results, and present your findings to senior leaders to help shape gameplay strategy and guide a deeper understanding of how players engage with our core game systems. You will report to the Insights Manager on LoL.
- Partner with LoL gameplay teams to produce frameworks and insights that improve gameplay experiences
- Construct and perform studies and surveys designed to answer business, development, and usability questions
- Design and moderate labs, guiding participants through a set of tasks and prompting them for candid, relevant feedback
- Mentor other researchers, helping them learn from your experiences
- Use your storytelling skills to share your results with other Rioters
- Invest in building competence in traditional analyst techniques (coding, data analysis) to support a small, cross-functional Insights team
- BA or BS in Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related social science discipline
- 4+ years of professional/academic experience in market research, behavioral or cognitive research, or user experience research
- Experience designing and performing survey research
- Deep knowledge of League of Legends gameplay and metagame systems (e.g. how progression though ranked ladder works) OR experience working on gameplay research within the competitive genre
- Advanced degree in social sciences or a related discipline
- Experience running playtests and usability tests in different paradigms, e.g. moderated/unmoderated testing, feature-specific testing, holistic and longitudinal testing
- Familiarity with basic statistical methods for data analysis (regressions, correlations, factor analyses)
- Familiar with SQL or other relational database approaches
- Fluency in Mandarin
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).