Staff Software Engineer - League of Legends, Game Modes
Job Id: REQ-0007709
Riot Sydney is looking for an experienced Staff Software Engineer to join the Sydney-based League, Modes team. Internal Job Title: Software Engineer III.
As Software Engineers at Riot, we bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas and also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. We work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Modes team under League’s Gameplay initiative, you will bring deep gameplay technical knowledge and skills to the game play domains in League of Legends. You will increase sustainability for current rotating modes and develop tools and workflows that make it easier for designers and artists to create awesome experiences for our players. You will work as part of a diverse team consisting of artists, designers, engineers, producers, and QA. You will also be leading the technical decision-making processes on the team, and you will be accountable for all technical decisions as well as the quality of the technology supported by the team. You will report to the Team Engineering Manager.
- Lead, identify and build improvements to allow League of Legends to more sustainably maintain rotating game modes.
- Understand the backend services powering League of Legends and lead technical decisions to best use them.
- Lead the automation of aspects of creating and running existing rotating game modes.
- Lead, design and develop features and UI in the League of Legends game engine using C++.
- Collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams in Sydney and the US (including Game Designers, Artists, Animators, Quality, and Producers) to shape player experiences
- Give feedback to designers and artists on the technical tradeoffs of their designs and ideas
- Give feedback to product leaders about product direction and player affinity
- Collaborate with and mentor engineering teammates
- 8+ yrs of collective professional experience building applications or games in a client-server architecture.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field or equivalent experience
- Experience working closely with non-engineering collaborators to deliver value
- Experience building games in C++.
- Experience working with complex code bases
For this role, you'll succeed through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritises the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Working closely with Riot teams globally, Riot Sydney is a powerhouse of talent, and experts in global development. Our team works on VALORANT, League of Legends and Teamfight Tactics, alongside exciting R&D and Tech projects.
If you believe that the Player Experience comes first, we want to hear from you. Our players are a diverse group from different backgrounds, and we want to see that reflected in the people who make our games, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment
At Riot we strongly believe in work/life balance, and we encourage that with our open paid time off policy, paid parental leave (for both primary and secondary carers) and flexible work schedules to fit your lifestyle.
We also believe that work should be fun, we have a LAN gaming room, the latest consoles, a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community, and all the snacks you would ever need to power through your day (even healthy snacks!).
And that’s not all we offer, there’s also:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Stipend
- Wellbeing Reimbursement
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning and Development opportunities