Senior Software Engineer - Live Services
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in genre-defining games. Back in 2009, that vision gave birth to our debut title League of Legends, which achieved critical acclaim among players and became the most played PC game in the world. We are honored to serve over 100 million players worldwide every month.
We're looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you're passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren't afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As Senior Software Engineer - Live Services, your team's mission will be to protect the total player experience. You'll do this by giving us complete visibility into the state of our live services and by building the services and tools needed to efficiently operate our high performing and highly available services.
You'll work in a self-guiding team with other humble but highly skilled individuals. The team in Dublin is small but growing and you will also work closely with fellow Rioters in LA. You'll help improve monitoring, reduce repetitive workflows, and provide a force multiplier for live operations, thereby reducing the risk of downtime for players.
- Build and deliver interconnected tools that solve multiple problems, scale to meet future demands of a multi-product platform and can be incrementally and continually improved
- Operate and maintain critical live operations systems, owning reliability, performance, and availability of those systems
- Collaborate with a live operations team that spans the globe and provides "follow the sun" monitoring and support for almost all of our external and internal facing systems
- Mentor and coach other members of the live operations team, including engineers as well as technicians on the track to becoming engineers
- Communicate technical matters, status, perspective, and challenges to others on the team and those in leadership positions
- Educated and experienced: You have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience and multiple years under your belt working with and designing large distributed systems.
- Player-focused: You know all too well the heartbreak of in-game tech issues; as such, you're dedicated to using your battlefield experience for good, helping continually improve LoL and its supporting systems.
- A team player: You are a consummate team player, working well with others toward a common goal. Achieving results is what matters most to you, not who gets the credit. You like to have an active role in leveling up other engineers
- Adaptable: You're not flustered by complex problems and evolving requirements. You're eager to forge thoughtful, well-crafted solutions that are robust enough for the long haul.
- A consummate communicator: You mesh easily with pros from all disciplines, and your impeccable communication skills allow you to unpack difficult concepts with ease, whether it's in person, on Slack, over Hangouts, or in technical documentation. You feel just as comfortable communicating in distributed teams as with people sitting right next to you.
YOUR & OUR TECH SPECS:
We work with a diverse set of technologies, but most of all we value engineers who are eager to learn new ways to deliver value to players. Some examples of the technologies we currently use include (but are by no means limited to):
- Flask, Node.js, React
- Linux, Windows, AWS
- Docker, Terraform, Ansible
- BigPanda, Grafana, Kibana, New Relic
- MySQL, Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, InfluxDB, ElasticSearch
We seek out engineers who have shipped products in multiple technology stacks (especially Python), but we'd also consider experience in other technologies (for example .NET) if you can couple that with recent experience writing production code in some of the above-mentioned tech.
We receive a lot of applications, but we'll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously. Apply below and don't forget to include a CV.