Software Architect - Player Platform, Riot SDK
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Software Architects at Riot Games drive, establish and instill technical excellence in the work they and their teams produce. Software Architects not only focus on short-term outcomes, but also take into account continually changing product and technical landscapes, ensuring long-term technical viability and sustainability. Software Architects want to continually minimize and reduce technical debt, improve software development efficacy and strive to create and achieve exceptional software solutions.
As a Software Architect on the Riot Platform SDK team, you’ll lead a newly founded and passionate team looking to provide software development kits to Riot game developers. This team creates development tools and solutions for Riot’s internal game teams as well as external game studios who are looking to build games powered by Riot’s Player Platform. You will keep the game developers experience in mind as you lead software architecture, solutions and implementation details, ensuring game developers at Riot can easily and natively integrate with Player Platform’s services and capabilities. You will partner with your technical product manager in defining a technical roadmap supporting the product’s vision and product roadmap for the foreseeable future.
Flexibility, adaptability and creativity are important traits for this role as Player Platform looks to achieve incredible developer experiences and capabilities for Riot’s game teams working across:
- Game engine middleware such a Unity 3D, Unreal Engine and internal Riot game engines.
- 1st party and 3rd party technologies and SDKs.
- Tencent services and SDKs.
- Cloud infrastructure solutions provided by Riot and Tencent.
- PC, Mobile and Console development environments.
This role is at the center of all game development at Riot and therefore requires the ability to manage multiple high priority projects, partners and technical implementations.
- Build and drive Riot’s Platform SDK technical strategy, bringing Riot’s Player Platform capabilities to game developers.
- Develop a technical strategy for making game development as consistent across gaming platforms such as PCs, mobile devices and gaming consoles.
- Guide and lead a team of 6-10 software engineers ranging from associate to senior level.
- Lead architecture and solutions supporting platform integrations with game engines such as Unity 3D, Unreal Engine and internal natively built game engines.
- Collaborate with game team’s technical leads in wholly understanding development needs and challenges when partnering with central technologies at Riot.
- Lead and establish technical guidelines for software developers either building out platform SDK capabilities or integrating with platform SDKs and tools.
- Partner with project leads and quality leads in defining and grooming high-level user stories.
- Look to continually improve methods by which the software is built, configured, tested and released/distributed.
- Be an individual contributor on the team where appropriate building out reference implementations, tackling challenging and ambiguous technical solutions, conducting design and coding reviews.
- Wholly be responsible for the quality of your team’s technical outputs, ensuring it meets Riot’s standards, RPG’s standard and Player Platform’s standards.
- Lead multiple work streams in defining technical outcomes, tools and solutions that create cohesive and natural developer experiences for Riot’s game developers.
- 10+ years of experience in a software engineering role (ie. software, systems, architecture).
- 3+ years of experience working in a technical leadership role, guiding engineering principals, design and implementation.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent years of job experience across software.
- Significant hands-on experience with two or more of the following programming languages: C/C++, Java, C#, Objective-C/Swift.
- Experience and understanding with two or more of the following platforms: Microsoft Windows OS (desktop), iOS or Android OS (mobile), XB1, PS4, Nintendo Switch (console).
- Experience and understanding working with Unity 3D or Unreal Engine.
- Experience with RESTful web-services and AWS.
- Experience with CI/CD tools and pipelines.
- Experience leading software products that support multiple platforms and/or operating systems (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, etc.) a PLUS.
- Expertise in defining and delivering complex technical solutions to technical customers/users.
- Proven ability to influence teams without formal authority.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation capabilities, able to present clearly and concisely to various partners, customers and leaders at Riot.
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children.
- Open paid time off.
- Retirement benefits with company matching.
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability.
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games.
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).