Researcher - League of Legends, Gameplay
The Insights discipline helps empower Rioters' decision-making to be more data-informed. We're an interdisciplinary group of scientists, consultants, and strategists from all sorts of backgrounds, that focus on bringing an astute understanding of players to Riot. We join together to represent and advocate for players from around the world. We believe that illuminating the globally diverse experiences, behaviors, and needs of players is essential to Riot living up to our player-focused mission. We're a group united by our love of games, science, and helping others succeed. Do you embody player empathy and care deeply about the experiences of your customers (our players), if so this could be the role for you.
Are you looking for a career that blends your scientific acumen and your deep real passion for games? As a Researcher at Riot Games, you will study, represent, and speak for the players around the globe. Your scientific skill set, coupled with your audience insight, will ensure that we are crafting our products in a player-focused way.
On the Gameplay initiative, you’ll be working on improving the heart and soul of the League of Legends experience. Creating and updating new champions, evolving the core gameplay of the marquee map Summoner’s Rift, and investigating new ways to play League for audiences around the globe. As a researcher on this initiative, you would bring your scientific acumen to bear on the changing landscape of League of Legends to improve it in a data-informed manner. Specifically, you will be conducting player labs of early champion concepts, own testing of changes made to experimental gameplay systems and new game modes, and drive impact by communicating results of your work to stakeholders.
- Partner with the Gameplay initiative to generate insights and frameworks that’ll inform how we think about evolving the gameplay of League of Legends as well as providing entirely new experiences through new champions, systems, and game modes
- You ensure that the Gameplay initiative understands our players from all over the world
- Provide strategic insights to test teams’ assumptions and inform their actions
- You will construct, organize, and execute studies and surveys designed to answer business, development, and usability questions around League champions and other gameplay systems
- Design and moderate labs, guiding participants through a set of tasks and prompting them for authentic, actionable feedback
- You are happy sharing your results with Rioters and using your deep understanding of crafting illustrative presentations as a vehicle to accomplish this
- BA or BS in Psychology, Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related social science discipline. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience in applied or academic research
- Knowledge of research methodology, surveys, ethnography, labs, etc.
- For this role, a deep knowledge of League of Legends is a must
- Advanced capability in your choice of analysis software (SPSS, R, Excel, etc.)
- Experience in presentation software (Google Slides, Tableau, etc.)
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).