Senior Software Engineer (Backend) - Team China Technology
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends, and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players while also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Senior Software Engineers on Team China Technology (TCT) play a meaningful role in launching new Riot products in China. They ensure successful launches by crafting technical architectures that meet regional requirements, and leading team collaborations between Riot, Tencent and our partners. Our customers are the millions of LoL players in China. Our key initiative:
- Launch new global Riot features + experiences in China with minimal tech debt, while delivering new China-specific experiences, based on regional market requirements
As a Senior Software Engineer in TCT, you will collaborate closely with Riot + Tencent product and engineering teams to architect technical solutions for launching new Riot products in the region. In addition, you will also lead and handle technical implementation of these solutions, while maintaining a high bar for quality and reliability.
- Set the technical direction + standards for your products (Craft Leadership).
- Lead and contribute to technical design + implementation (Programming).
- Use your broad knowledge to guide tough technical decision-making (Product Sense).
- Translate China’s regional requirements into concrete engineering work.
- Drive high-quality engineering execution across complementary teams and partners.
- Build broad strategic alignment inside and outside your team.
- Consistently lift the expertise and skills of people around you.
- Technical authority: Broad theoretical knowledge + practical application of Software Engineering principles to global-scale distributed systems. You’ve spent 7+ years pursuing serious engineering challenges. You take every opportunity to keep your hands-on coding skills at a high level. Experience with the following preferred: A modern programming language (Go, Python, Java, Ruby, ...), Building + designing RESTful API interfaces, Common data persistence + communication technologies (SQL, NoSQL, Message Queue) as we as best practices for building large-scale, highly-available distributed systems
- Experienced technical leader: You have been a Technical Leader for 4+ years, with a mature approach to setting the technical vision for your team. You understand that high-quality engineering isn’t just about having flawless architecture or fastest algorithm. What's also required is a maintainable codebase, an effective technical decision-making process, and ownership over how your code is deployed and performs in Production.
- Adaptable: You quickly adapt to new challenges, even if it’s outside of your expertise. You thrive in startup environments, are familiar wearing multiple hats, and have a track record of learning new skills across a wide range of domains + disciplines.
- Clear communicator: You drive clarity in communication, by being concise and articulate. You listen well, you build positive relationships, and bring visibility to technical decisions made on your team to the broader company. You’re fluent in Chinese and English, and can drive effective collaboration with Chinese-speaking engineers.
- Strong decision-maker: You have a rigorous framework for making decisions in ambiguity. You make trade-offs explicit, when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics. You know when to call for help.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).