Senior Atlassian Systems Engineer - IT
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
As Riot continues to deliver and scale content to a global audience of passionate gamers, Riot’s IT Discipline is packed with challenges and opportunities centered on designing, building, and maintaining global infrastructure that supports the organization’s growth. As IT Administrators and Engineers, we have deep knowledge in specific areas of expertise and strive to provide excellent standards of service for Riot’s operations. We relish the opportunity to work with new product teams and tech stacks, and explore new solutions to improve the Riot digital workplace and surprise and delight our players.
As a Senior Atlassian Systems Engineer you will join a technical team building, automating and supporting all things Atlassian at Riot Games. Automation, performance, reliability and security will be your watchwords. You will use automation frameworks, code, and cloud technologies to solve complex technical problems, working as a core member of a multi-functional Atlassian team with other collaborative, humble and highly skilled individuals.
- Deploy and manage multiple Confluence and Jira Data Center environments
- Utilize cloud service providers (AWS) to automate deployments, maintenance and orchestration of network and server infrastructure
- Codify and provision infrastructure in AWS using Terraform within a CI/CD framework
- Write automation to deploy and configure software using Ansible
- Cultivate and implement a comprehensive and healthy suite of monitoring and alerting standard methodologies to measure and improve service availability and performance
- Analyze performance metrics and take dedicated action to scale and tune distributed applications and systems
- Author RFCs to get feedback on technical designs and generate shared standards of practice among the Riot software engineering discipline
- Design creative and out-of-the-box solutions to complex day-to-day problems for Rioters, so nothing stands in the way of delivering a great gaming experience to players
- Coordinate, manage and respond to support requests
- Author and maintain operational process documentation and runbooks
- Participate in on-call rotation and triage live issues as necessary
- 2+ years experience administering and handling production Linux servers in a cloud environment
- Deep understanding of Java runtime applications (preferably on-premise Confluence and Jira Data Center), including JVM tuning, JMX monitoring and Java stack trace and core dump analysis
- Experience deploying and configuring software with Ansible
- Experience provisioning AWS infrastructure using Terraform, including ALBs, EC2 instances, Route53 records and security groups
- Experience with external authentication integrations via Active Directory, single sign-on (SSO) and SAML authentication
- Familiar with configuring and deploying Apache/Nginx/Tomcat web proxies and services
- Knowledge of networking services (DNS), routing, protocols (TCP/IP), and tools (ping, tracert, etc.)
- Familiar with the core concepts of distributed systems, having experience working with distributed data, caching, networking, and application systems in the past
- Knowledge of block and object storage options and maintenance standard methodologies
- Proficiency in Bash and Python scripting
- Proficiency in SQL, including MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Good communication and partnering skills with both technical and non-technical users: you dig deep in conversations with other teams to uncover their fundamental needs, getting to the root of the problem in order to provide a sustainable solution
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Atlassian certification
- Experience administering, configuring and maintaining Atlassian applications
- Familiar with Docker container deployment and orchestration
- Working knowledge of modern agile methodologies and practices, including Kanban, Scrum, etc.
Don’t forget to include a resume and unique cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice an original, well-written intro that shows us you’re aligned to our values.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).