Vice President, People - Games
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Riot’s People team exists to help Rioters make better decisions around its talent. We bring our expertise to all of those typical HR activities such as hiring, on-boarding, training and development, diversity and inclusion, performance management, benefits, perks, compensation, big events, labor relations, offboarding so that all Rioters can flourish.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, the Vice President, People - Games will work directly with the top leadership of Riot’s Games Studios, LoL, Inc. and R&D Office to develop and execute strategic talent plans aligned with Riot’s top company priorities. You will thoughtfully integrate critical elements across the Rioter (employee) lifecycle (recruitment, performance, development, compensation, etc.) and develop culturally-appropriate Rioter engagement and retention strategies. You will also develop and lead a high-performing team of functionally-aligned HR Business Partners.
- Partner with senior leaders across Riot’s games portfolio including the COO, Head of League of Legends, Inc., and Head of R&D
- Establish and maintain strong, trusted relationships across the business to ensure that Riot’s talent strategy and programs support our strategic objectives and are aligned with what we value
- Drive accountability for execution of HR employee lifecycle processes across client groups, including executive coaching, rioter engagement, organization design, workforce planning and succession management, people development, compensation planning, and communications and change management
- Collaborate with leaders across Riot to execute HR programs across a heavily matrixed company that includes a number of dual reporting relationships
- Develop, align and execute impactful people strategies that increase rioter engagement while decreasing regrettable attrition
- Use Global Riot Survey (GRS) to identify engagement drivers and work with leaders, managers, and rioters to own and drive their action plans.
- Partner with central Talent Management team to build organizational capability through the development of leadership teams (e.g. team effectiveness, goal development and alignment, manager capability, etc.)
- Lead orchestration of programs that enable rioter performance, including goal setting, performance management, peer feedback, cross-functional calibration
- Drive People team efficiency and effectiveness through the improvement of HR processes, policies, and systems
- Engage with the recruiting team to provide input on hiring priorities and audit progress against hiring plans
- Partner with Rioter Relations to resolve rioter grievances in accordance Riot’s investigation and escalation protocols
- Dedicatedly drive conflict resolution strategies across individuals, teams and, departments to improve workplace effectiveness and engagement
- Assess and understand changing business and market trends and adjust HR strategy accordingly
- Build and effectively manage a team of exceptional HR business partners; ensure that they are technically strong, possess a high level of business insight, and consistently deliver high-quality results
- Experience supporting senior gaming/entertainment executives across multiple functions with strong consultative style
- Strong executive presence and proven ability to build trusted relationships and influence and motivate both leaders and employees
- Proven knowledge of contemporary HR practices, including experience in recruiting, talent management and development, organization design, change management and compensation
- Ability to effectively handle change in a particularly chaotic environment with frequently changing priorities
- Experience participating and helping to drive the evolution of the HR Business Partner function, contributing to its positioning as a strategic function while finding opportunities to transfer work to other HR departments (e.g. HR Shared Services)
- Ability to develop compelling, data-driven business cases and build culturally-appropriate programs and plans designed to empower the team and influence senior leaders to act
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills; able to see the broad implications of decisions and use data to make effective judgements
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; presents accurately and clearly in both verbal and written communications across a variety of formats
- Ability to build relationships with a diverse set of partners at all levels internally and externally
- Ability to influence leaders across the organization to make better people decisions with fairness and consistency
- Customer-centric focus; ability to cultivate culture and create alignment between business goals, behaviors, and systems that drive performance
- Passionate about crafting and implementing processes to keep everyone aligned and on track with fantastic attention to detail
- Keen end-to-end program/project management skills
- High degree of maturity, diplomacy, discretion, and integrity, especially as this role frequently requires handling of sensitive and confidential information
- BA or BS degree required, advanced degree preferred
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).