Senior Tech Artist, Tools & Pipeline
Riot Games was established in 2006 by avid gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience, and beyond!
We’re looking for passionate professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. We embrace those who see things differently and aren’t afraid to experiment. That's where you come in.
The mission of Technical Art on League of Legends is to establish and improve the systems, tools, rigs, and workflows that unleash the creativity of our artists and allow the production of the best possible art content for our players.
As a Tools & Pipeline Technical Artist, you’ll focus on defining and building the tools and tech that get our art assets into the game. This will involve building pipelines and workflows for DCC (Digital Content Creation) software, collaborating with engineering in the design of our in-house tools, and consulting with art to discover the best possible solutions to the challenges we face.
- Level up the end-to-end workflow for our many art disciplines, such as Character Art, Animation, Environment Art, and VFX
- Provide technical support to artists working from our art workflows, collecting data to further improve the tools they are using, making recommendations and improvements where necessary
- Produce technical assets (such as shaders/materials)
- Prototype new art assets and build asset generation pipelines and tools
- Collaborate with production to develop a long-term strategy to maintain and evolve the art workflows for your product
- Build close relationships with artists you work alongside with to better understand their needs and collaborate on designs and solutions
- Build close relationships with essential engineers to help guide the design of the best possible workflows and in-house tools for our artists
- Translate art direction into technical requirements, and technical constraints into creative constraints
- 5+ years experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- Demonstrated expertise in game development using modern engines, such as Unreal or Unity
- Demonstrated expertise in content creation and tool development in DCC tools, particularly Maya and Photoshop
- Demonstrated expertise in UI/UX design and front end development (Qt/PyQt skills are a plus)
- Fluent Python programmer
- Highly proficient communication skills and capacity to act as an ambassador between art and engineering
- Superb critical thinking skills, particularly as it pertains to translating artistic requirements to sustainable workflow design
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will certainly be looking at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
- Comfortable writing C++
- Experience with Substance Designer and Substance Painter
- Experience in shader writing (HLSL/GLSL)
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.
er letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.