Engineering Manager - Live Services
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Riot Engineering managers use their technical knowledge to bring discipline and context to delivery and software operations by motivating engineers with the “what” and “why”. Tactically, this means overseeing the technical aspects of design and build, serving as a mentor to many engineers, overseeing performance management, prioritization and ownership.
The Live Services initiative is committed to protecting the total Player experience. We ensure Riot's content, services, and products are available to be enjoyed as expected and as intended. We also build support structures which are resilient, responsive, and informative.
As an Engineering Manager in Live Services, you will lead the Game Operations Tools and Riot NOC teams:
- The Game Operations Tools team's mission is building control services which help us operate our games. Control plane software can be an interesting challenge, as the designs and implementations must take into account diverse game parameters, scale to many millions of nodes, be globally distributed, and be useable by Rioters with diverse levels of technical familiarity.
- The Riot NOC team a 24/7 technical support organization that focuses on knowing the state of our products/services and the first line response when there are unintended behaviors with Tier 1 support across both our private and public cloud infrastructure and application-level configuration modifications. The team is expanding into more technical work, becoming a team with SRE-level of skills that can be leveraged across Riot.
You will demonstrate advocacy for the Player experience, possession of deep technical expertise, and the ability to build healthy teams through mentorship and trust. You will align your team to the goals and leading them through new challenges that arise with supporting new AAA games. Your team will also lean on your experience of distributed computing systems and your ability to develop high-quality, globally-scalable live services and products.
- Manage and support a team of 4-6 software and infrastructure engineers ranging from associate-level to senior-level
- Drive building, operation, and maintenance of RESTful services that are highly available and resilient
- Unify teams with operational excellence and compelling leadership that support engineers across multiple time-zones and cultures
- Keep track of software quality, including automated and mechanized unit, functional and integration tests
- Develop, track and report on team-health meaningful metrics related to performance and engagement
- Mentor and guide individual contributors into effective leaders and high performing contributors
- Craft and review technical strategy documents which communicate technical plans, trade-offs, and options
- Establish guidance and best-practices with regards to design, code, and release processes for the products and solutions produced on your team
- Partner with product managers and development managers to create implementation plans and build technical solutions that meet desired outcomes and goals
- Participate in on-call escalations and guide engineers who are on-call
- You will report to the Initiative Engineering Leader and other partners in the Live Services initiative
- 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager/Director of Engineering
- Experience shipping RESTful services which are 24x7 production ready
- Previous deep hands-on programming experiences in one of the following programming languages: Java, C++, Go, Python, C#
- Deep knowledge and experience in distributed computing, web-services, microservices architecture, API design, scalable system architecture and operating and supporting production services
- Excellent ability to evaluate and build metrics and metrics which trigger into alarms
- Complete understanding of using metrics to run operations -percentiles (P50, P95, P99, P99.9), latency, and histograms.
- Understand infrastructure server and storage architectures (i.e. CPU utilization, thread counts, IO wait, capacity, memory use and networking.)
- Complete technical competency around IT infrastructure (i.e. Storage, Compute, Networking, RAID, Load Balancers, DNS, etc.)
- Deep knowledge of cloud architecture across Amazon Web Services
- 7+ years previous experience as a software engineer
- Familiar with deploying and administering services on Linux and variants
- Experienced in various scenarios of on-call escalation; can quickly triage problems and bring the problem to the correct on-calls
- You excel in service operations / DevOps
- Deep knowledge of cloud architecture across Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- Wellness stipend for fitness classes, massages, and membership at local gyms
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).