Engineering Manager - Player Platform: Player Cohesion & Interactions
In 2009, Riot released its debut title, League of Legends, and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
As an Engineering Manager on the Player Platform: Player Cohesion and Interactions team, you will report to an Initiative Engineering Manager and you will be front and center in growing engineers while leading central technology solutions for internal development teams. With your perspective, these teams will be empowered and unlocked to ship value to players around the world.
The Player Platform initiative builds the player-facing software that is shared between games at Riot. You will be an essential member of a multi-functional team that is building a common platform on which Riot will build future games. We're trying to find leaders and engineers who will contribute to projects including desktop applications, globally scaled services like chat and accounts, and SDKs to empower game teams to provide these experiences across different operating systems.
Player Cohesion and Interactions builds products and systems that allow every player to feel respected, supported, and excited to game together. This involves features that promote successful interactions, address problematic behavior when it occurs, and foster healthy coexistence. You’ll work with team members in the Product, User Experience, Game Design, and Data Science disciplines to change the way people play together. Deep collaboration with game teams are also part of the team’s responsibility to advise on solutions specific to their gameplay.
- Manage a team of 4-6 software engineers ranging from associate-level to senior-level
- Develop and track team-health meaningful metrics related to performance
- Mentor individual contributors into leaders and successful employees
- Establish guidance and best practices with regards to design, code, and release processes for the products and solutions produced on your team
- Ensure staffing plans are met
- Champion your sourcing/hiring processes to identify and hire engineers
- Partner with product managers to act on technical solutions and implementation plans that meet desired outcomes and goals
- Build and establish essential business relationships with partners and customers
- 6+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years as an Engineering Manager/Director of Engineering growing teams that build public-facing software
- Experience sharing information across a wide array of technical expertise and seniority
- Deep knowledge of cloud architecture across Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in distributed computing, web-services, microservices architecture, API design, scalable system architecture, and operating and supporting production services
- Resourcefulness in project management
- Experience managing through influence instead of authority
- Experience with automated build/test/release processes
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).