Senior Data Engineer - RDP (Aggregations)
Riot Data Products (RDP) is an engineering team whose mission is to build solutions that equip Rioters with data technology that helps them to enhance the experience of players and Rioters. Our products range from data pipelines deployed globally that used to publish a million plus events per second into our data ecosystem all the way to single page web apps that guide essential processes inside of Riot and influences our ability to draw insights about Riot itself, our people, teams, and organization.
As a Senior Data Engineer on RDP Aggregations, your experience with data pipelines will cover a wide range of technologies and problem domains. You will work with gameplay engineers on sourcing data, consolidating data from 18 regions worldwide using tools like Google BigQuery, Kafka, Airflow, and Spark, and model and build data marts for use by analysts and data scientists for business analytics, player-facing features, and AI capabilities. These data pipelines push forward many aspects of Riot’s business including gameplay balance, revenue and enterprise performance, and player engagement.
- Automate and maintain batch pipelines that collect and process data to improve the player experience, guide game understanding, and report business metrics
- Design and build tools that provide confidence in our data quality, from data QA processes for publishing new events, to systems for automatic detection of unexpected changes in our data’s volume and distributional properties
- Partner with software engineers to build data-driven feedback loops into our game server, client, and back-end services by defining data models and contributing to telemetry implementations
- Work with data customers (product owners, game designers, analysts, and data scientists) to identify important questions and then provide the services, datasets, and tools that empower them to find the answers
- Help other developers select data technologies that provide efficient insights with a high return on investment
- Be the face of data best practices to other developers around the product by advocating for data considerations early in the product life cycle and educating teammates on how to get the most out of our ecosystem
- Mentor data and software engineers, and collaborate with other technologists to increase the Data Discipline’s capabilities and influence across the product
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable experience
- 5+ years experience in Python, Scala, Java, or similar data processing programming language
- 3+ years experience with Spark, Hadoop, or Databricks
- Experience with data analysis, processing, and validation
- Experience with SQL, databases, and data pipelining technologies and ETL frameworks
- Experience implementing data solutions in public cloud technologies including configuration and deployment
- For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and technical choices that target the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).