Senior Data Engineer - Riot Data Products
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and an important driver of the explosive growth of Esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
Riot Data Products (RDP) is an engineering team whose mission is to build solutions that equip Rioters with data technology that helps them to enhance the experience of players and Rioters. Our products range from data pipelines deployed globally that used to publish a million plus events per second into our data ecosystem all the way to single page web apps that guide essential processes inside of Riot and influences our ability to draw insights about Riot itself, our people, teams, and organization.
Experts in data have a broad range of skills, which cover aspects of software engineering, systems engineering and data processing through SQL, Python, and other languages. As a Senior Data Engineer on RDP, your experience with data pipelines will cover the full stack. You will work with Gameplay Engineers on sourcing date, and consolidate data from 18 regions worldwide using tools like Google BigQuery, Kinesis, and Kafka. You will model Data Marts for use by Analysts and Data Scientists for business analytics, player-facing features, and AI capabilities.
- Automate and maintain batch pipelines that collect and process data to improve the player experience, drive game understanding, and report business metrics
- Design and build tools that provide confidence in our data quality, from data QA processes for publishing new events, to systems for automatic detection of unexpected changes in our data’s volume and distributional properties
- Partner with software engineers to build data-driven feedback loops into our game server, client, and back-end services by defining data models and contributing to telemetry implementations
- Work with data customers (product owners, game designers, analysts, and data scientists) to identify important questions and then provide the services, datasets, and tools that empower them to find the answers
- Help other developers select data technologies that provide efficient insights with a high return on investment
- Be the face of data best practices to other developers around the product by advocating for data considerations early in the product life cycle and educating teammates on how to get the most out of our ecosystem
- Mentor data and software engineers, and collaborate with other technologists to increase the Data Discipline’s capabilities and influence across the product
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field
- 5+ years experience in Python and SQL
- 5+ years experience in Java, Scala, or similar OO experience
- Experience with data analysis, processing, and validation
- 3+ years experience with Spark, Hadoop, or Databricks
- Professional experience with open source ETL frameworks such as Airflow, Luigi, or similar
- Knowledge within a diverse set of public cloud technologies: AWS RDS, S3, EC2, Lambda, Google Cloud Big Query, Google Cloud Bigtable, etc.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).