Business Development Manager - Global Esports
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and an essential driver of the dramatic growth of esports. At the core is the Global Esports team, the group responsible for operating the major League of Legends competitive international tournaments, defining global policies for the sport, driving global narratives, and providing services to our 15 different regional leagues. We want to bring joy to billions of fans around the world by fostering a thriving global sport ecosystem. That’s where you come in.
For every global event produced by League of Legends Esports, there are premiere partners that help us bring amazing experiences for our live audience, the fans watching at home and our pro players and teams. These invaluable sponsors provide the resources and expertise that allow us to provide the world’s #1 esport to millions of fans across the world with an eye towards continuous progress and growth and a commitment to elevating the fan experience. From weekly content pieces to the fan being flown to the World Finals to meet her heroes, our sponsors do it all. But they can’t do it alone, and that is where our Global Esports Business Development and Partnerships Team comes in. The Global Esports Business Development Team and Partnerships Team attracts, services and retains our partners, acting as brand ambassadors of Riot Games to external parties and as emissaries of our partners to our fans, pro players, and teams.
As a Business Development Manager, reporting directly to the Head of Global Esports Business Development and Partnerships, you will help grow the commercialization efforts behind League of Legends’ biggest annual esports events -- the World Championship, Mid-Season Invitational, and All-Star Event -- with the goal of bringing world-class partners into our ecosystem and driving long-term sustainability for the sport. You excel at evaluating business opportunities and identifying avenues through which to monetize high-quality content, experiences, and media through sponsorship. You understand the value proposition for sponsors while keeping your finger on the pulse of what the sport needs and what excites our fans, delivering a win-win-win for our partners, our community, and Riot.
- Manage the sponsorship sales funnel and pipeline
- Collaborate across esports disciplines to identify new business opportunities, technologies, and assets to build unique and valuable opportunities for partner integration
- Produce LOL Esports global sponsorship offerings
- Be an essential point on partner proposals, from creative ideation and partnering with internal departments to proposal development and fielding incoming requests from the partner
- Maintain a deep and current understanding of esports, sports and entertainment industries
- 7+ years of experience in partnerships or business development, structuring, closing deals and building projects from creation through launch and ongoing execution
- Experience in partnerships and business development in gaming, sports, content distribution, or live entertainment
- Excellent relationship management, communication, and project management capabilities
- Excellent writing and sales collateral building skills
- Proven success rate with partnerships and deals (i.e. high renewal rates)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players and fans, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).