Lead Software Engineer - League of Legends
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Lead Software Engineer on a new team within the Player Immersion & Expression (PIE)PIE initiative, you'll report into the team’s Engineering Manager. You will take product ideas around discoverability and acquisition of content and bring them to life. You will collaborate with your team to identify product requirements, lead the effort in defining the technical vision and architecture of the system, and work hands-on to implement and scale the system that will be shipped to millions of players around the world. The mission for the PIE Player Immersion & Expression (PIE) initiative on League of Legends is to "create immersive offerings of expression, commemoration, and delight to amplify player experiences in League". One strategy, amongst others, that we use to realize this mission is through creating feature-rich content. But it doesn't stop there. We need players to discover and acquire this content at the first source of inspiration! This is where your expertise comes in.
As a Lead Software Engineer for League of Legends you’ll be the technical lead and will contribute to the following essential areas depending on your interests and experience:
- Design and enhance League microservices
- Lead architecture requirements and design, as well as documentation for ongoing support
- Write unit and integration tests
- Code reviews
- Enhance build and deployment tooling
- Improve product visibility through monitoring
- Provide mentorship to more junior engineers on the team
- Participate in on-call rotation
Insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page
- 8+ years of experience working on a distributed backend and/or microservices architecture with at least 2 years of this time spent as a technical lead.
- Deep expertise in Java.
- Experience with implementing best practices in software design, testing, operating and maintaining systems with large user bases.
- Experience with profiling and addressing performance and scale problems.
- Experience identifying inefficiencies in processes, tools, workflows and creating solutions to eliminate these inefficiencies.
- Comfortable communicating in distributed teams as with people sitting right next to you. Having worked with geographically distributed teams is a big plus.
- You will visit our Los Angeles HQ approximately two-four times a year for about four to five weeks in total.
- Experience with Golang, node.js, or Python
- Experience with databases such as MySQL, MongoDB, Riak, etc.
- Experience with Docker, Terraform or Ansible
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, marital status, or any other category protected by law.