Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
We’re hiring for multiple levels, from associate to lead, so don’t get hung up on the title; we’re all about the team.
As part of the Illustration team, you’ll put stylus to Cintiq and create the splash art that represents the essence of a champion to millions of players. You’ll use your artistic eye and keen understanding of dynamic lighting, form, and color to tell concise and evocative stories with your deft brushwork. Working in close collaboration with a team of talented and dedicated illustrators, concept artists, writers, animators and game developers, you’ll define and illustrate each champion’s unique place in our universe.
- Artistic and collaborative: with your artistic eye and keen understanding of dynamic lighting, form, and color you would fit right in on museum walls; but unlike Van Gogh and Co., you’re more comfortable collaborating than hiding in a garret, and thrive on giving and receiving constructive, creative feedback
- Anatomically correct: you have advanced understanding of human and animal anatomy, but aren’t afraid to stretch the limits; exaggerated, stylized proportions feel perfectly balanced in your hands, and superheroes line up outside your studio hoping to be drawn in one of your staggeringly dynamic poses
- Productive and motivated: you believe artist’s block is for amateurs and you’re motivated to create nothing less than AAA splash at all times; you make creative decisions and drive projects forward and on time without ever sacrificing quality
- Genre-bending: you’re a versatile visualizer, capable of capturing a range of archetypes from fuzzy little scouts to ferocious void monsters
- A player-focused gamer:as an experienced League of Legends player yourself, gaming is as much a part of your artistic palette as painting tools you use; though your art's awesomeness commands attention, but you'd never let it upstage the holistic player experience
- Create key splash art for champions that tell their story through evocative, dynamic compositions
- Work collaboratively with your team, providing and receiving extensive feedback, as well as working with artists in other disciplines to create cohesive and awesome champions
- Manage and art direct outsourced art projects
- Create promotional art for various projects and events
- Challenge conventions of video game art, initiate and spearhead new projects, and paint visually awesome experiences for players
Don’t forget to include a resume, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.