Senior Technical Artist (Assets) - Unpublished R&D Product
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends, which has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side by side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As a Senior Technical Artist on the Assets team, you will focus on supporting artists with art asset prototypes so they can realize their work in-game. You will work with artists across all departments from modeling to lighting to ensure all assets work within the scope of the technical pipeline requirements. Working closely with each artistic department, you will standardize and improve development processes for the production of assets, materials, shaders, LODs, and interactions in the pipeline.
As a Senior Technical Artist for Assets in R&D, you will oversee test/discovery assets for highly iterative gameplay prototypes. You will understand general asset generation and implementation across all areas of game development. Ideally, your background is a mix of AAA and mobile games development. You will also be responsible for developing the asset creation pipeline so assets can be generated efficiently and sustainably moving from prototype into pre-production and production.
- Generate mock-up art assets to test and learn from playable prototypes
- Be the tech-art catch-all with a broad skill set including: character art, animation, rigging, environment art, and VFX
- Produce technical assets (such as shaders/materials)
- Provide technical support to artists and collect data to further improve the tools they use
- Identify and build foundational pipelines and tools
- Collaborate with production to develop a long-term strategy to maintain and evolve the art workflows for your product
- Build close relationships with the artists and engineers you work alongside with to understand their needs and provide leadership on tool and pipeline development
- 5+ years experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- Experience in mobile/AAA development
- Experience in Unreal/Unity workflows and best practices
- Strong art skills and deep understanding of modeling, shaders, texturing, animation, and lighting for games
- Expertise in content creation and tool development in DCC tools, especially Maya, Photoshop, and Substance Designer/Painter
- Expertise in UI/UX design and front-end development (PyQt/PySide skills are a plus)
- Proficient Python programmer
As a part of the application process, you will need to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).