Staff Software Engineer, Distributed Systems - Unpublished R&D Product
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will report to the Engineering Manager of an early stage product team. You will be responsible for the entire back-end for a globally scalable suite of services. This includes integration with Riot standard platforms, payment and social systems, and varying infrastructure and compliance requirements. This also includes ensuring we have monitoring and diagnostic capabilities to help us when things go wrong. You will ensure we have a solid technical foundation so when we get to launch at scale, everything goes smoothly.
- Design, build, and deliver internet scale backend services for genre-defining games we will deliver globally to millions of people
- Own building features from in-game all the way down to the backend service implementation
- Build features to improve server reliability and performance
- Implement server infrastructure in support of new gameplay features
- Build and support live services for the game
- Work with cloud technologies and services such as AWS
- Mentor more junior engineers on the team
- Collaborate effectively with art, design, and other disciplines within game development
- 6+ years of experience building large scale backend systems or game services
- 1+ years experience as team Technical Lead, or as subject matter expert in a specific engineering domain across multiple teams
- Experience developing large systems from scratch, including gathering requirements and designing scalable, production-ready architecture
- BS degree or equivalent experience
- Expertise with C/C++, C#, Java, Golang, or similar language(s)
- Experience with cloud computing and cloud technologies
- Experience building large scale backend systems or game services
- Experience working on a global scale online game
- Experience with Unreal
- Experience with developing mobile games
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).