Staff Software Engineer - Legends of Runeterra
Riot Software Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work on multiple broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll work with both our technology, creating creative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to provide player value.
As a Software Engineer III on the Legends of Runeterra Services team, you'll report to our Manager, Software Engineering and help build solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to provide positive player value. You'll be focused on improving and developing new features for our core back-end microservice stack. This stack serves players globally around the world. You'll help make important decisions around refactoring, tuning, and fixing our backend microservices to unlock potential for our developers and designers. You will be the defense against emergent bugs that impact large numbers of players.
- Help lead a Sprint Team that delivers code to players in a bi-weekly release schedule
- Create technical designs for new features and architectural changes
- Break designs into smaller tasks, and mentor more junior engineers in completing those tasks across multiple sprints
- Develop C# microservices to support a live Unity game
- Create standards to ensure high quality code
- Coach and mentor more junior engineers through code reviews and 1-on-1 feedback
- Load test, and scale a cloud-native game architecture with a world-wide deployment footprint
- Troubleshoot live service issues as part of a Service Reliability on-call rotation
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 6+ years experience in professional software development
- OO Development experience in one language (C#, Java, C++, Python, Ruby)
- Experience mentoring team members to level up their technical capabilities
- Understanding of containers and microservices architecture
- Familiarity with SQL and Database systems
- Experience with Cloud Technology
- Understanding of HTTP
- Experience operating and prioritizing work around live software and games as a service
- Familiarity with NoSQL and caching systems (e.g., Redis, Couchbase, MongoDB, etc)
- Familiarity with queuing and pub/sub systems (e.g., Kafka, HornetQ, RabbitMQ, etc)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- A love for competitive card games, digital or print
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).