Game Designer II - League, Competitive
Job Id: 4363
Game Designers at Riot work to craft the systems, mechanics, and content that make up a deeply resonant player experience. We explore how to best push the boundaries of that experience in order to build new and engaging moments for players.
As a Designer on the League of Legends Competitive team, you will design and deliver competitive features like Clash, Progression, Player Behavior, Ranked, and Matchmaking. We're looking for a focus in meta-game system designs, someone with deep passion for building the engines that promote long-term engagement for players. You will help guide the experience of a player from their first moments to their 1000th hour, and will build the frameworks that allow players to forge connections that stand the test of time. You would report to the lead designer on the competitive team.
- Develop LoL's meta systems that reward and motivate players for their progress game to game
- Develop and expand upon LoL's player behavior systems to deter negative behavior and reward good sportsmanship
- Assess player needs and opportunities for improving the player experience in whatever ways are most impactful outside of the game
- Own the detailed tuning and polish on systems like matchmaking that need optimized algorithms to maximize their potential
- Improve existing design frameworks and create new ones
- Effectively lead and collaborate with non design disciplines to fully realize our design vision and ship it to players
- 2+ Years as a professional game designer
- Understanding of player motivations and audience types
- Experience designing mathematical systems that organize large volumes of players into ideal groupings
- Experience designing progression, matchmaking, or social systems
- Has previously been the game design owner of projects and delivered them successfully
- Experience communicating and expressing complex and nuanced designs with other developers
- Builds strong relationships with other devs to collaborate effectively and positively
- Understanding of LoL gameplay design principles and can apply them effectively
- Experience with tuning and balancing systems like matchmaking or negative player behavior deterrence
- Thorough documentation and requirements writing skills, to ensure engineers and other disciplines can execute in complex spaces
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).