Head of Finance and Strategy - Entertainment
Job Id: REQ-0003454
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and an essential driver of the explosive growth of esports. With the advent of Riot's next generation of titles, Legends of Runeterra, Teamfight Tactics and VALORANT, Riot is building a broader and more complex entertainment footprint. But, no matter how robust Riot's product offerings become, players will always be the foundation of our community and it's for them we continue to evolve and improve the player experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
The Finance team at Riot is dedicated to helping Riot's most senior leadership make the best decisions for Players. Our team consists of experts from a variety of finance backgrounds with a shared focus on providing Riot leaders with an understanding of the financial impact of meaningful decisions. We are an essential part of long-term value creation for Riot.
The Head of Finance and Strategy, Entertainment sits on the leadership team for Riot's new Entertainment division ("REG") and develops and leads the Strategic Planning, Monetization, and Financial capabilities across REG. REG is focused on delivering for Riot's 100MM+ active and engaged players and fans across the globe. Core accountabilities include Long Range and Annual Planning, Production Finance, Deal Analysis/Revenue Strategy, and BU/Corporate FP&A. As REG's Head of Finance, you will work directly with other members of the division's leadership team to establish new projects, make important strategic decisions, work with all partners, benchmark progress against divisional goals, and implement best practices. You will ensure that REG has in-depth strategic plans that are directly linked to Riot's overall company strategy and inform the division's regular capital and resource allocation decisions. In the role, you will help lead the traditional budgeting, forecasting and planning processes, oversee REG's P&L, and develop periodic reporting for Riot's CFO and for the Board of Directors. You will report into Riot's CFO and Entertainment's leadership team.
Divisional Finance Leadership:
- As the financial lead of the division, delivering the long-term strategic plan, annual budget, and BU-level product return goals. This includes building the core processes that the division uses for analyzing and evaluating project, product, and business line opportunities and ensuring other leaders and teams across Riot understand REG's strategic goals and performance on an ongoing basis
- Establish a culture that values goal and milestone setting, transparency, and fiduciary responsibility that spans seniority, tenure, and function
- Lead REG's finance team, ensuring that they have the capabilities, tools and support necessary to guide strategic, monetization, and operational finance activities within the division
- Strategic Planning: oversee long-range planning and annual budgeting ("SPF") at a BU and divisional level.Establish and refine REG's overall and BU-level strategies in partnership with BU leaders and Insights team including the delivery of multi-year forecasts to help inform REG's and Riot's capital allocation decisions.
- Revenue Strategy: develop and oversee BU greenlight processes including the development of goals, financial and deal-making considerations, and performance management. Work with REG leadership, deal-makers, and operators to make well-informed creative, commercial, and partnership decisions.
- FP&A: Perform divisional and BU-level financial reporting and analysis. Oversee individual product/project performance, tracking of 3rd party distribution, agency, and administration reporting and collections, accounting to 3rd party profit participants, and building systems for forecasting and tracking indirect revenue across other Riot products.
- Production Finance: Primary corporate interface between production-level teams ("Production Accounting"), Division Finance, and Riot's Central Finance and Accounting teams. Perform unique financial aspects of production (e.g. production fundings, production incentive, budget cash flow forecasting)
- Make decisions on divisional-specific purchasing and accounting, and participate in setting the division's financial goals and metrics
- Ensure BUs have clear understanding and appreciation for the link between their BU-level strategy, the REG strategy, and the REG budget., Provide BUs with meaningful direction across important financial, strategic, and monetization considerations
- Establish a culture of excellence where the value of financial capabilities is well understood and valued. Drive continuous improvement of financial, underwriting, and planning processes and systems; engage consultants and third parties to drive system changes
- Manage team reports, including developing other managers, and working with them to build future leaders that can support Riot's long-term interests
- Work with Riot's CFO, Head of Strategic Finance and other division Heads of Finance to support CEO and division heads to inform, guide, and facilitate Riot's capital allocation decisions, financings, and financial systems implementation
- Work with other divisional Heads of Finance to ensure integrated long range planning, strategic alignment, meaningful transparency, and sharing of relevant expertise across the company. Collaborate to deliver financial reporting, including consolidated P&L, quarterly business reviews, and reports for Board of Directors
Central Riot Engagement
- Work with Riot's Central Finance to bridge the divisional and corporate finance and accounting teams, simultaneously representing the needs of both and ensuring financial systems and processes are tuned to serve the divisional and Riot-wide goals
- Work with Central teams (e.g., Accounting, Strategy, Tax, Treasury, and Concur / Expenses)
- Advise the corporate finance team on how its systems and policies serve the divisional finance team, and upgrade and refine as needed
- BA/BS degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration or related fields
- 15+ years of professional experience working in finance, business operations, and entertainment (i.e. Film, TV, Event, and Music) production
- Experience leading and developing managers and managing large and diverse teams outside of strictly FP&A
- Experience leading large-scale, cross-organizational, and complex organizations.
- Experience building new competencies and elevating the existing capabilities within an organization
- Experience communicating at an executive level across creative, operations, negotiations, and strategy
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.