Principal Game Designer, Monetization - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0003503
As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Principal Game Designer in Research & Development working on early stage products, you will help decipher Riot’s next big bets, specifically in the monetization space. You will work to build monetization (and interdependent systems, like progression) from the ground up. Together with PMs, revenue strategists, and meta-systems designers, you will work to maximize our business outcomes without compromising on what makes our games world-class in terms of fun, engagement, and player-focus. You will solve the highest impact monetization design problems across all of our R&D games, through direct effort or in collaboration with monetization designers / revenue strategists on the game teams. You are comfortable operating in an ambiguous environment where goals and constraints are mostly team driven and where change, big and small, is a critical part of the process. You will balance meaningfully engaging with, questioning, and leveling up the product strategy especially as it intersects with monetization, while simultaneously inheriting and championing the game vision as stated by the team. You will report to the Strategic Advisory Lead on the Strategic Research group in the R&D Office.
- Work with game teams to design initial monetization and progression systems in a diversity of genres and under complex constraints: Design at all levels, from general business model to specific features and products that drive player behavior
- Assess teams’ revenue strategy needs and align with the leadership team on the solution
- Analyze existing genre-specific and broader market best practices to make recommendations for game teams & incubation pitches
- Stay apprised of current monetization practices and develop a view of the future of monetization
- Work with revenue strategists across the organization to establish Riot best practices
- Communicate strategic recommendations in front of partners and senior leadership
- Operate within spaces that have little definition and high ambiguity
- Advise teams on product and game design problems by using a combination of a broad and deep gaming background, game design craft, and product strategy thinking
- 8+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- 3+ years of experience designing a monetization product, distribution mechanism or system from scratch in the video game industry
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game
- Can create and improve complex mechanics and/or systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects
- Experience creating impactful monetization projects covering ideation, scoping, design and execution
- Experience working on a live product
- Is familiar with the LoL IP
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.