If a game’s never just a game to you, you love pushing the limits of what’s technically possible, and you also believe that doing the right thing often requires disregarding the rules and upending the status quo, then we’d love to talk to you! Our Engineering leaders are experts at balancing a strong vision while allowing teams ownership of their problem spaces. We’re looking for talented, like-minded Engineering leaders to join us and help shape the future of gaming.
Engineering leadership at Riot can take many forms within product development: League of Legends, Player Insights/BI, Esports, Merchandise, R&D, and other technology areas. Engineering leadership encompass not only strong technical backgrounds, but also the ability to build and grow teams of extremely skilled engineers aligned to deliver awesome experiences to players.
As an engineering leader at Riot, you will:
- Develop your team: you’re the ultimate, accountable party for ensuring a highly-functioning engineering team; whether you manage people or lead technical vision, you’ll be responsible for recruiting, training, and continually-improving high-performing Riot Engineers; you’ll not only exemplify our cultural pillars, but also be adept at imparting them on others
- Thrive in ambiguity: we explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you’re quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to players
- Support your development partners: you’ll build and maintaining strong relationships between Engineering and partner disciplines (Product, Art, Design, Publishing, Development Management, QA, etc.) to ensure teams are focused on delivering the right product for players
- Be accountable for execution: part of a highly-functioning team is getting shit done; collaborating with cross-functional teams, you’ll own moving fast and ensuring the right product ships to players
- Drive technical vision and direction: you’re ultimately accountable for the technical quality of your product; you contribute to, and are responsible for, the overall architecture of the system, living by the mantra: “Know the code, be the code;” you’ll have no problem contributing to feature implementations, bug-fixes, and refactorings
- Wholistically own your technical products: our products reach tens-of-millions of players around the world, 24x7x365; the products your team delivers must ooze operational excellence (deployment automation, monitoring/alerting, documentation, etc) as Riot engineers are expected to own their services in our production environments
- Lead beyond your team: with a growing global community Engineering leaders focus their efforts on supporting their teams and contributing to the overall growth of the entire engineering organization; stewards of sharing key technology and best practices across all of engineering at Riot, leaders are experts at providing the vision that seeds discussions within our global communities-of-practice
While engineering leaders come in all shapes and sizes and work with many technologies, we expect every leader at Riot to be:
- Player-focused: you’re a gamer whose passion for games (especially League of Legends) helps you stay focused on initiatives that make the difference to players in and out of the game
- A threat to convention: bored by what’s considered traditional, you constantly push past limits until the status is no longer quo; you don’t “think outside the box” because, hey, there's no box
- Focused on team: you find, shape, and cultivate teams that don’t just swing for the fences, they jack that (metaphorical) baseball beyond the stars; you help Rioters develop the tools and creative atmosphere to shine, but ultimately hold them accountable for making smart calls and delivering player value
- Seriously playful: you work hard but always leave time for pentakills; whether you’re grabbing a game of League in our onsite PC Bang or rapidly sharing cat GIFs, you make time for daily play in all of its wonderful forms
- Humbitious: you’re ambitious but humble, a state of being summed up by fans of portmanteau as “humbitious;” always striving for continuous improvement, you never forgo rounds of feedback from teammates, players, and partners who keep you from drifting off into space
We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously. Apply below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter.
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page.