Software Engineer II, Gameplay Systems - VALORANT
Job Id: REQ-0004504
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in many broader domains. As a Software Engineer II, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Software Engineer II working on a VALORANT Gameplay Systems Team, you are responsible for helping Riot build a features in one of a few areas:
- Characters: You will build a roster of VALORANT Agents based on a foundation of expressive and maintainable gameplay systems. You will keep the player experience in mind as you work collaboratively with artists, designers, and producers to deliver exemplary Agents to our players.
- Modes: You will build novel game modes that create a uniquely VALORANT experience for a variety of play styles. You will collaborate closely with designers, QA, and producers to deliver and evolve a well rounded collection of game modes giving every VALORANT player a place to play.
- Gameplay Tech: You will work on core gameplay systems such as movement, hit registration, and client/server interaction. You will also collaborate with a number of other VALORANT teams in ensuring a high quality player experience.
- Design, develop and implement intricate gameplay systems and features
- Collaborate with designers to support execution and release of Agents with highly-varying functionality and technical needs
- Create and/or contribute to best practices, development processes and coding standards
- Build and manage strong relationships between disciplines
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience with C++
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
- Experience implementing gameplay systems
- Experience working on competitive multiplayer games
- Experience with Unreal Engine
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players and fans. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00)