Principal Software Engineer - LoL PC, Around Game
Job Id: REQ-0004899
As a Principal Software Engineer and Tech Lead for the League of Legends Around Game initiative, you will develop and deliver the technical vision for content acquisition and player engagement features on League of Legends. These include the League Store, Loot, Event Missions & Passes, Clash tournaments, and several player progression features such as Challenges, Eternals, and Champ Mastery.
With the focus on creating engaging experiences, you will lead the engineering of innovative solutions that allow millions of League players around the world to discover and acquire personalized content while building mastery, fostering competition, and celebrating their achievements.
The teams on Around Game are versatile, so you will work directly with peers in Production, Design, Quality Assurance, Strategic Advisory, Player Support, and others.
You will report to the Director of Software Engineering for the Around Game Initiative.
- Provide technical leadership towards both new feature development and existing systems, emphasizing operational excellence
- Steer the initiative's roadmap in collaboration with product management
- Mentor and lead technical team leaders and senior engineers on the initiative
- Promote and oversee adherence to engineering excellence including code maintainability, quality, monitoring, and documentation, aligning to League and Riot technical standards
- Set the technical direction and best practices for current & future needs.
- Collaborate with engineering leaders on League and Riot to surface systemic technical problems and identify creative & sustainable solutions
- Participate in cross-team technical discussions, and contribute to and review designs and code from other teams throughout the League Studios and Riot.
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering, with deep practical knowledge in distributed systems development in Java
- 3+ years of experience as a technical lead accountable for delivering large cross-team technical projects.
- Experience building scalable, distributed, production software systems with a understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
- Experience developing team(s) to bring reliable and high-quality software services to production use
- Bachelor's, Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant professional experience
- Experience operating live services at scale
- Expert proficiency with SQL and modeling data in complex domains
- Experience in container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with C++
- Experience in React or other modern front-end libraries
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).